Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank
Anyone else gluten free? Do you have a tried and true bread recipe? Eating healthy and gluten free is seriously testing my budgeting abilities with organic milk being $6 a gallon and all the fresh fruits and veggies Plus expensive crap like coconut oil, gluten free foods, etc. I have no idea how I'm going to do all of this but it has to happen. Right now I need someone to give me pointers - and bread recipes that don't taste like cardboard. :)

I am learning a ton about food though. Stuff I never knew, which is why there is a huge food change for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:14 AM
Replies (21-26):
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Quoting e.sugarbaby:

This is so interesting....whats the deal with whole grains being a bad thing? We do lots of fruits and veggies...but fill me in on the bad side of whole grains...I'm so intrigued now....

and another one that came to my notice just a few minutes ago:  http://bellyfatscience.com/michelle-obamas-myplate-replaces-food-pyramid-with-more-bad-government-advice/

ReesesPieces
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:06 PM
I'm mobile so I can't do links but there is a great video (lots of great videos and info) at www.draxe.com - I research lots of sites but I like how clearly he presents it. He is local for me and I'm thinking about seeing him at some point.

Quoting e.sugarbaby:

This is so interesting....whats the deal with whole grains being a bad thing? We do lots of fruits and veggies...but fill me in on the bad side of whole grains...I'm so intrigued now....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elizabooks
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 9:58 AM
Quoting ReesesPieces:

Isn't treacle black strapped molasses?
ReesesPieces
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Kind of. It is similar to sorghum molasses (a lighter sweeter version). From what I understand (and I could be wrong) treacle is from the first boiling after the refinement of sugar - sorghum molasses from the second, and blackstrap molasses from the 3rd. Each boiling makes it more concentrated.

Quoting elizabooks:

Quoting ReesesPieces:

Isn't treacle black strapped molasses?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stevensmomma
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:01 AM

No we dont "try " to do it but when I shop if their is a gluten free item on sale I will buy it instead of the regular bc i know its better for you.

mmtosam06
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Hodgson Mill has a great line of gf products. I love that line.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)