Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home
Anyone else gluten free? Do you have a tried and true bread recipe? Eating healthy and gluten free is seriously testing my budgeting abilities with organic milk being $6 a gallon and all the fresh fruits and veggies Plus expensive crap like coconut oil, gluten free foods, etc. I have no idea how I'm going to do all of this but it has to happen. Right now I need someone to give me pointers - and bread recipes that don't taste like cardboard. :)

I am learning a ton about food though. Stuff I never knew, which is why there is a huge food change for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:14 AM
Replies (11-20):
PrissyT
by Tracy on May. 8, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Sorry no help here but interesting reading all this
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Quoting ReesesPieces:

I love you Rhonda! You make it seem do-able. I think I'm partially getting overwhelmed and just don't know where to start. It's a huge learning curve for me because everything I thought was right is wrong. I never wanted to be one of "THOSE" gluten free or organic people and now here I am.

It's very do-able!

I've got menu plans saved in my group "Rhonda's Home Kitchen" along with two posts under Recipes, "Gluten-Free" and "Paleo/Primal" that are all gluten-free/clean eating.

I agree:  a lot of what we were taught was right is wrong.  I wish I'd known about this sooner, because I probably wouldn't have the organ damage from the diabetes that I do now.  "Eat more whole grains and eat low-fat" is KILLING so many people!  I get angry that we've been taught to eat foods that are NOT optimal nutrition (and some are downright damaging.)

Forget the grains, even whole grains.  There is nothing in them that cannot be found in abundance in other clean foods.  Learn which vitamins are water-soluble (and must be consumed daily) and which ones are fat-soluble (and stored in our bodies so we don't NEED to eat them daily.)  That will help in your meal planning.

aidansmommy219
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 1:18 PM

We don't have any dietary restrictions so I would not be any help. My dad's fiance and her oldest son eat gluten free but it's not too often I talk to them..

ReesesPieces
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:22 PM
Yes! Exactly. I had been told margarine is better because of the lower calorie and fat content, but now know it's horrible for you - rancid oils, stinky gray gunk that is bleached and colored and flavored to be appealing. Yuck! The more I read, the more disgusted I am that I've had this filth peddled to me for 30 years - and I feel guilty that I've fed this crap to my kids for 6 years - thinking I was eating healthy.

I am mostly trying to stick with fruits, veggies, nuts, and select types of meat (wild caught fish, organic chicken, etc). It's easier on me and hubby. The kids are having a hard time adjusting, which is why I want to make bread - they just want a sandwich every now and again.

Any idea how to get some blackstrap molasses in them? They weren't too fond of me this morning. I want them to have it for the health benefits but cant figure out a way to get it in them - aside from cookies, which defeats the point.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting ReesesPieces:

I love you Rhonda! You make it seem do-able. I think I'm partially getting overwhelmed and just don't know where to start. It's a huge learning curve for me because everything I thought was right is wrong. I never wanted to be one of "THOSE" gluten free or organic people and now here I am.

It's very do-able!

I've got menu plans saved in my group "Rhonda's Home Kitchen" along with two posts under Recipes, "Gluten-Free" and "Paleo/Primal" that are all gluten-free/clean eating.

I agree:  a lot of what we were taught was right is wrong.  I wish I'd known about this sooner, because I probably wouldn't have the organ damage from the diabetes that I do now.  "Eat more whole grains and eat low-fat" is KILLING so many people!  I get angry that we've been taught to eat foods that are NOT optimal nutrition (and some are downright damaging.)

Forget the grains, even whole grains.  There is nothing in them that cannot be found in abundance in other clean foods.  Learn which vitamins are water-soluble (and must be consumed daily) and which ones are fat-soluble (and stored in our bodies so we don't NEED to eat them daily.)  That will help in your meal planning.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Molasses....I guess my kids are odd in that they'll eat it by the spoonful!  LOL  I do have a recipe for grain-free molasses cookies in one of those recipe posts....or put it on their grain free pancakes?  Stir it into a glass of almond milk?

I'll have to look up more ideas.

ReesesPieces
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:46 PM
I think my kids would be fine with regular sorghum molasses but the blackstrap is stout!! I mean, I'm mixing it with twice as much peanut butter and it's still rough to get down! Even for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
e.sugarbaby
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 8:29 PM
This is so interesting....whats the deal with whole grains being a bad thing? We do lots of fruits and veggies...but fill me in on the bad side of whole grains...I'm so intrigued now....
suziejax
by Suzie on May. 8, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I am attempting slowly to go that way

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Quoting e.sugarbaby:

This is so interesting....whats the deal with whole grains being a bad thing? We do lots of fruits and veggies...but fill me in on the bad side of whole grains...I'm so intrigued now....

Here's one article on why:  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grains-are-unhealthy/

and a whole blog (written by a cardiologist):  http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/

...not to mention all the herbicides and pesticides used in harvesting the GM (genetically modified) grains. 

suziejax
by Suzie on May. 8, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I am trying to eat as organic as I can I used to say the same exact thing. I would  never be one of those people lol

Quoting ReesesPieces:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN