Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Have you ever been curious to know why we save money in a piggy bank?  well I have.  I don't know if this has been posted here before but here it goes :)

The origin dates back to the 1400s, when people were regularly making pots, bowls and other receptacles out of clay. But, there was more than one different type of clay, and one of these was known by the name 'pygg'. It was frequently used to make dishes and similar items from; purely because it was one of the cheapest materials around for this use. The clay was of an orange colour, and many people kept a pygg jar, as they were called, to throw odd coins into.

As time went on, people found new methods and materials for creating these jars. But while pygg clay eventually stopped being used, the idea of having a jar with a slot for putting money into didn't.

And, of course as we know today, the name pygg ended up transforming itself into pig. More and more of these money jars ended up being shaped as pigs, although no one seems to know quite how or why this started. It is thought that it could have been down to a simple error in the understanding of the word, seeing as they both sound the same when said aloud.

However, there is no doubt that the metamorphosis of the pygg clay jars into the piggy banks you know and love today has secured their future as savings vehicles for children. Instilling good savings habits at a young age sets children up for their future, and encourages regular saving.

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:03 AM
Replies (11-11):
momto3isme
by Dawn on May. 13, 2012 at 7:46 AM
Thanks for sharing!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement