Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Budgeting? What's that?

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 5:04 PM
  • 11 Replies

Im a single mom of a 16 month old daughter, and budgeting went out the window when i had her. im lucky enough to not have any debt but paying bills and providing day to day needs for my daughter and i is starting to become a bit of a stretch. What do I do? how do i budget for everything?

by on May. 8, 2012 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suziejax
by Suzie on May. 8, 2012 at 9:01 PM
2 moms liked this

Stick first with needs instead of wants and that helps. Just sit down and look at all the money you have coming in and whats going out and balance it. Figure out whats important and whats not. ALso I recommend Dave Ramseys Book Total Money Makeover. Since your a young mom it will help you off on the right foot!

ambr2006
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Do what i do and try to save as much as you can and never loan money out. This is my weak point right now is helping family and I'm stuck being broke, and they never bail me out.

ambr2006
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Ever since my dad died last May, my mom has really leaned on me and its hard. I have my own family to care for and Im not rich. I try to help her when I can but I can't do it all the time. My oldest sister lives there with her two grown kids, I just wish they would get it together.

ReesesPieces
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:16 PM
I agree! We love Dave Ramsey in this house!!

Quoting suziejax:

Stick first with needs instead of wants and that helps. Just sit down and look at all the money you have coming in and whats going out and balance it. Figure out whats important and whats not. ALso I recommend Dave Ramseys Book Total Money Makeover. Since your a young mom it will help you off on the right foot!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:51 PM

I know what you mean.  When I had DD years a go I spent money left and right.  Didn't look at a price tag.  Now I always look, add tax, and even round up.  Shop sales, clearance, thrift stores, and etc.  I think what did it for me was when I lost my job and had to live off welfare.  I hated it, and only had so much to work with a month.  Once I found a job again it was hard to going back to spending what I wanted when I wanted because I learned the true value of a dollar.

Kainalu55
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 4:19 AM
Shop yard sales for clothes and toys. Try to save a certain amount from each paycheck. Set aside an amount you can afford for food each month, and stick with it! Don't buy unnecessary things. Use coupons for diapers, wipes, etc. Eat out less often. Have a yard sale or sell unwanted items on Craigslist for some extra money. There are also a few ways you can make a little extra money online. Send me a message and I can send you more info & links. I've been a SAHM for 5 years, and I've always been able to make a little extra money each month.
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on May. 9, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Try making a list of month to month expenses.Average everything out and compare with your income.

momto3isme
by Dawn on May. 9, 2012 at 10:18 AM
I agree with all the above posters.
yvonne37
by Yvonne on May. 9, 2012 at 10:37 AM

All of the posters have given you excellent advice so I would just add this... Breath and take one day at a time.  Make sure you write down everything you purchase and your income, this way you have a clear idea of what you are working with, then sit down and take your time figuring things out.. starting and keeping a budget is not a thing you can do in a day.. it takes time and perseverance, but it will pay off. For now like I said, take your time and dont get overwhelmed :)

Stevensmomma
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Quoting suziejax:

I agree!! And she is 16 and able to get a part time job make her go out and earn a bit of cash for her own spending needs to take off some of the burden of movies and going out with friends etc. also it will help her learn about money and saving.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)