Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son is 3. He sees his Grand parents every 2 weeks typically. Everytime he goes there they buy him a little toy which was fine but now he expects it everytime. He will ask to go to the store almost as soon as he gets into the house. I feel so embaressed because try as I might to explain he doesn't get that he doesn't need a new toy everytime he sees Grandma! I have told her that she doesn't have to buy him anything,that is not why we come over. How on earth do I nip this in the butt before we go back?

by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:56 AM
Replies (11-16):
Moms_Angels1960
by Cheryl on May. 9, 2012 at 6:22 PM

When that started happening to my dd I talked to my dad about it & he said she is my granddaughter it is my money & I will do whatever I want with it. I am a grown up and I'm not going to be around to watch her grow up. He still buys her things & I just let him. Talk to your mom & tell her what you feel see if you can come up with something together.

Kelly913
by on May. 9, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Right.  Your son isn't wrong for expecting it, he's been trained to expect it.  If it's not bothering the grandparents, I say leave it be.   

Quoting michiganmom116:

Grandparents are going to have to be the ones to nip it.  They're the ones that've conditioned your son to expect it. 

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

FindersKeepers
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 7:18 PM

I agree with everyone here... you have to talk to the grandparents and let them know.  

I think your question is super cute, but just so you know the phrase is "Nip it in the bud"

Nip it in the bud refers to pruning a flower at the budding stage: you want to stop it before it starts to escalate

mommyladnad
by New Member on May. 9, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I had the same problem with my in-laws. They bought my son something every single time we saw them. I spoke to my MIL and asked her to please stop buying him things unless it was a special occassion because I wanted him to be excited to see Nana - not be excited to get something from Nana - and that did the trick! Good luck!grandma

AzariahsMother
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I think you just need to talk to the Grandparents, and just explain how you are feeling, and how DS acts now because he gets everything.  I would hope the Grandparents would be respectful and understand why you are feeling the way you are and why you would like them to stop.

mommyprice09
by Ashley on May. 9, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Quoting Stevensmomma:

Explain to her how he  has come to expect it and he doesn't understand that he shouldn't expect a new toy every time you go their. Make sure to tell her it is appreciated but you don't want him to expect things.

http://raysofsunshineanp.blogspot.com/
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)