Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Find Your Best Treat To Relieve Stress

Posted by on May. 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 39 Replies

Perhaps yesterday, you got a bit of a break. Maybe you were served breakfast in bed. And quite possibly, you went downstairs to see that a volcano of flour and eggs and dirty pots and pans had erupted over the kitchen. Now, that may not be a huge thing, but it could add a bit of stress to your world...one that maybe has enough stress already.

Study after study shows that stress causes more health issues than they ever realized, from stomach woes to migraines to heart ailments. We, as moms, often take on the stress of others, heap it onto our own piles...and then never tend to that.

I used to deal with stress by running, but that took its toll on my knees. Then I turned to crossword puzzles. My husband loves massages. Figuring out how to treat yourself, how to de-stress not only, well, eases you, it also can keep you healthy, make you more productive -- all of which impacts your family piggy bank, my friends.  So, check out the list and try out a few of these stress-relieving ideas.

Eat some de-stressing foods. Think about those with B6 or magnesium, which produces serotonin, a chemical that our body produces that calms us. Avocados, bananas, baked potatoes with the skin all have high levels of B6, while almonds, spinach and wild rice are a few magnesium-rich foods.

Exercise. Some researchers say exercise is just as good as some antidepressants in dealing with stress. Go for a good brisk walk. Jog in place and then lift little hand weights while the kids watch Dora or Doc McStuffins.

Laugh. Watch a funny movie, surf You Tube for some funny cat videos, tickle your kids (her laugh always makes me laugh). Laughter releases all of those good bits in the brain and calms even the most stressed beast.

Cross something off of your to-do list...or at least start it. We need to get our wills done. It is a big nagging stressor. The minute I make the call or figure out the website to get that ball rolling, I will feel better. That goes for little items on the list too...thank you notes, the dishes, returning those old drapes, whatever it may be, crossing them off will help knock down that feeling of stress.

What do you do to relieve stress? 

©iStockphoto.com/ AnsonLu

by on May. 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReesesPieces
by on May. 14, 2012 at 12:57 AM
I exercise, take a bath, watch one of my favorite comedies, have one piece of chocolate (despite wanting to eat 1000 pieces), ask hubby for a foot massage. That about covers it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yvonne37
by Yvonne on May. 14, 2012 at 6:54 AM

I laugh :)   I laugh with my kids, I laugh with my husband, we watch funny movies and we make fun of things and each other... sometimes when I am getting really really upset at, lets say my husband, I stop myself and stop arguing (or if we are about to start arguing)  and say something really silly and out of the blue and that stops him too... we end up looking at each other and laughing. I wish I knew this before, when I was younger, because I would get extremely stressed and even sick over the dumbest things.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on May. 14, 2012 at 8:36 AM

I get a long bath.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I will exercise, spend time with my horses, or stitch when I need to de-stress.

lalasmama2007
by on May. 14, 2012 at 10:01 AM
I go for a walk, shop or work on crafts.
suziejax
by Suzie on May. 14, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I pray, I walk around outdoors, exercise, I make something, I read, or play on the PC :-) Or work on my web site 

Leelee1008
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Sometimes a drink helps LOL

Leelee1008
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2012 at 10:39 AM

baths are great. I dont get many of them without someone banging on the door.

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

I get a long bath.

Stevensmomma
by on May. 14, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I talk a walk, try to get things done around the house that I have been putting off, keep busy.

slw123
by Member on May. 14, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I exercise....a lot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN