Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

3 Ways Make That Goal Happen

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 35 Replies
2 moms liked this

We've talked a lot about indulging ourselves in terms of little thing to buy or do...and the ultimate indulgence, so to speak, for ourselves and our families is having financial security. And to make that happen, I am a firm believer that we have to be happy with where we are and where we are going in terms of lifestyle and jobs and, well, goals. Personal goals, professional goals, financial goals - we deserve to accomplish these.

Sometimes it is tough to do it. Time, other money situations, other Life situations come into play. But there are things you can do, every day, every week to make any goal happen.

1. Visualize it. Set up visual reminders of the goal. Post them on the fridge. Put them in your wallet. Set them up as the screensaver of your computer. Seeing this every day, subtly, makes you work toward achieving that dream.

2. Set up goals you can do. Make short-term ones, medium-term ones, and long-term ones. When you reach that short-term goal of moving all of your bills to online payments, it gives you satisfaction...which makes you keep at that long-term goal of building an emergency fund. Getting that gratification, the thrill of achieving something snowballs into working toward other goals. So make that list -- small, medium, big -- and get going.

3. Be sure these are the goals YOU feel passionate about. That whole mantra of follow your dream...do it. Don't let others influence that dream or make you change that dream. Of course, talk to your husband, discuss goals and ideas with those that you trust and care about, but be sure they are yours. That you want to work toward them, that you feel passionate about them.

What are the goals you are working on? How are you doing with them?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Marekuliasz

by on May. 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 6:17 AM
3 moms liked this

Goals:

To be debt free - we're working the debt snowball!

To pay cash for our next car - we have established a separate fund for a car, and all of DH's overtime pay goes into that.

After that, we'll work toward establishing 3 - 6 months worth of living expenses in an emergency fund, then we'll put extra in our retirement funds.

momto3isme
by Dawn on May. 15, 2012 at 8:18 AM
1st goal find a job
2nd goal pay off truck early
Bmat
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Thank you. These are such good suggestions. Right now I am goal- less. I need to get with it.

Wish2Be
by on May. 15, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Passion does not equal ambition unfortunately....not in my case anyway.

Wish2Be
by on May. 15, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Quoting momto3isme:

1st goal find a job
2nd goal pay off truck early

I try to put like $5 extra on my payment for my car every month, but I dont think its making much of a difference....I still owe like $14,000 on it :(

CafeMom Tickers
Wish2Be
by on May. 15, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Quoting michiganmom116:

Goals:

To be debt free - we're working the debt snowball!

To pay cash for our next car - we have established a separate fund for a car, and all of DH's overtime pay goes into that.

After that, we'll work toward establishing 3 - 6 months worth of living expenses in an emergency fund, then we'll put extra in our retirement funds.

These are great goals ! Similar to mine !

I am trying to pay off credit cards ( Total about $1500 ) & build some form of savings for us....this has been very hard.  I put $25 bi weekly in savings but sometimes I have to take money out...like this month I am going to take $50 out....so thats all I have put in for this month :(

CafeMom Tickers
goddess99
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:09 AM

My goals are to become debt free and lose weight so far the debt is going ok but the losing weight, not so much.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on May. 15, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Our goals are to start saving to buy a house instead of renting.

starreyedcutie
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:53 AM
Goal:buy a house

We are saving and improving our credit :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stevensmomma
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:54 AM
2 moms liked this

we are trying to pay the truck off so we are cutting back a bit more and using that money to make larger payments so far so good its helping

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN