Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Or community supported agriculture, if you aren't familiar with the acronym.  We joined the local one in our area this year.  They've had a waiting list since I first learned of their existence, but this year had a few openings.

Starting the week of May 23rd we'll get a weekly selection of fresh produce from a few local farms.  They send an email each week a couple of days ahead of time to let us know what we're getting and suggestions for how to use it.

I'm excited to have fresh produce grown without chemicals at a price I can afford!  Do you belong to a CSA or any other food buying group/co-op? 

Anyone interested in finding out more, you can search your area at http://www.localharvest.org/. There are other sites that do this so if you know of one, please post it!

by on May. 13, 2012 at 12:24 AM
Replies (11-20):
jurnee14
by Member on May. 13, 2012 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Ive never heard of anyting like it in my area, but I did plant a vegetable garden this year. First time we've ever tried this and hoping it grows, it will be such a saving on produce!

aidansmommy219
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I've never heard of anything like that.

bertie4
by Member on May. 14, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Never heard of csa.

Kelly913
by on May. 14, 2012 at 11:13 AM

It might be a savings if I compared it to what I would have spent to get the same things at a grocery store, but since it's hard to find organic around here we usually just don't buy much.  So-technically I'll be spending more, but I'll be getting good stuff in return.

Quoting MomofNikki2010:

Yes we do and I cannot wait for it to start again! Get ready for WAY too much food and to try things you never knew existed!

Oh and stash away all that money you are saving too!

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

MomofNikki2010
by Member on May. 14, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Oh, really? Ours equals out to $22/week and it includes fruit and veggies. For us, that is a big savings over what we pay at the grocery store for organic or non-organic! It's also a lot more than we get at the grocery store so we blanch and freeze a lot.

Quoting Kelly913:

It might be a savings if I compared it to what I would have spent to get the same things at a grocery store, but since it's hard to find organic around here we usually just don't buy much.  So-technically I'll be spending more, but I'll be getting good stuff in return.

Quoting MomofNikki2010:

Yes we do and I cannot wait for it to start again! Get ready for WAY too much food and to try things you never knew existed!

Kelly913
by on May. 14, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Ours is $22/week too, but what I was saying is that until now, we didn't spend much on produce because I'm not willing to pay the price for organic at our one and only grocery store, and it's not economical to drive 30-40 miles to go to another store.  So, I simply haven't been purchasing it.  I'm sure that if I bought an equivalent amount at the grocery store I'd be saving money. 

Quoting MomofNikki2010:

Oh, really? Ours equals out to $22/week and it includes fruit and veggies. For us, that is a big savings over what we pay at the grocery store for organic or non-organic! It's also a lot more than we get at the grocery store so we blanch and freeze a lot.

Quoting Kelly913:

Quoting MomofNikki2010:

Orbie1985
by New Member on May. 14, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Ok. This is SWEET BUSINESS! Just a question though. What on average do they cost? I looked up one in Las Vegas and it was around $2000 (it looked like it was only for summer/fall). I looked at another one and for 10 weeks it is $20 per week.  

Kelly913
by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:44 PM

They will vary greatly and it's important to talk to the growers and find out what to expect for your investment.  Mine is $22/week prepaid.  If the $2000 one includes, dairy/eggs/beef/pork/chicken or any combo of the above, it might be worth it.  Get as many details as you can. 

Quoting Orbie1985:

Ok. This is SWEET BUSINESS! Just a question though. What on average do they cost? I looked up one in Las Vegas and it was around $2000 (it looked like it was only for summer/fall). I looked at another one and for 10 weeks it is $20 per week.  

suziejax
by Suzie on May. 14, 2012 at 4:56 PM

OO and I will be checking this out! :)

mommyprice09
by Ashley on May. 14, 2012 at 7:45 PM

no

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN