Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Fill up Efficiently

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:12 AM
  • 23 Replies

Fill up efficiently. This involves three things:

• Fill the tank full. If you need to fill up, fill up all the way. The more money you try to save by adding $10 today and then $20 tomorrow will be wasted since each time you will have to travel to the station and wait for a pump. Instead, do it all at once to save time and money.
  • Don't top up your tank between fills. It is wasted money and bad for the environment because it invariably forces liquid fuel into the evaporative emissions system where it overwhelms circuits that are supposed to only route fuel tank vapors to the engine while it is running and can be burned.
  • Wait until you have a quarter tank but don't push this any further. Doing this can extend your gas mileage because you are hauling a lighter fuel load. It also gives you the opportunity to buy more gas if you run across a bargain. However, in cold weather, you run an increased risk of condensation in the fuel tank. Running a car with less than a quarter tank can shorten the life of the electric fuel pump and running on empty will often destroy the pump.

by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aidansmommy219
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Lol...this sounds like my dh talking. All the time I hear his lecturing his sister about keeping a quarter tank of gas at least. She's constantly running on E and since he's a mechanic guess who gets to work on her car. lol..thanks for the tips. I didn't know about the condensation being an issue.

Stevensmomma
by on May. 15, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Thanks for sharing !

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I don't fill my vehicle because then everyone wants to use it for little trips to town and I go through more gas then.  Instead, I keep it about 1/4 - 1/2 full.

I do know about the condensation.  We are very careful of it during winter months.

suziejax
by Suzie on May. 15, 2012 at 3:04 PM

yep for sure

mommyprice09
by Ashley on May. 15, 2012 at 8:42 PM

i do this

cjsmom1
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I never knew that last one. I spend so much on gas a week it's ridiculous. I always fill it up when I'm there (I hate going to the gas station).

I don't know if these are true but someone told me
1. Go at night. When it's not as hot out it changes the density of the gas
2. Pump slowly. The faster you pump the more fumes you get instead of gas

cjsmom1
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I also never go below a 1/4 tank. I am so afraid of getting stuck some where.

AzariahsMother
by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:06 PM
TFS
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momto3isme
by Dawn on May. 16, 2012 at 9:59 AM
We do these.
momto3isme
by Dawn on May. 16, 2012 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm afraid of running out of gas so I make sure I have at least a 1/4 tank.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)