Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need opinions!! ways to save on food bills.

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:27 PM
  • 33 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you find it cheaper to cook from scratch or to go get everything including snacks from the store?

Options:

Store

Scratch

combination

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 24

View Results

Ladies do you think it is cheaper to make meals every day and snacks then going shopping for store bought snacks and meals. I am asking because my husband and I are on a tight budget and I am trying to find away to make things easier for us. I already plan out the meals. Now thinking I need to plan out the snacks and "desserts".

Please help me out

If you vote other tell me what you find easier. Please.

by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

IF YOU HAVE A DECENT PANTRY SUPPLY, it will be cheaper to cook from scratch.  To completely start with nothing in the pantry, it'll definitely be a little more expensive at first.

Snack ideas:  popcorn (air popped, can be made into caramel corn, peanut butter popcorn, cheesy popcorn, etc.), homemade granola bars (oatmeal, raisins, honey, misc other ingredients), pudding (yes, from scratch), yogurt (can make it in your crockpot with milk, plain yogurt, and unflavored gelatin is optional ), fresh fruit, veggies & dips, smoothies with your homemade yogurt and frozen fruit

Desserts:  add a few more ingredients to some homemade yogurt for frozen yogurt treats.  cookie bars are easy and quick.  Pies are definitely cheaper to make than ones you buy in the store.  Cakes...it's iffy if you can make them cheaper than when cake mixes are on sale at the store, but you'll know what's in them and you can make a huge variety of scratch cakes.

suziejax
by Suzie on May. 15, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I have learned making for example your own falvored noodles or rices your self is much cheaper than buying pre flavored packaged items

mommyprice09
by Ashley on May. 15, 2012 at 8:44 PM

combo

cjsmom1
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:31 PM

I picked store bought but it's because I rarely make from scratch, no time. I do agree with a pp though, seasoning the food yourself is cheaper then buying preseasoned food.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on May. 15, 2012 at 10:39 PM

We do a mixture. It might be cheaper to make from scratch if you already have everything you need in your pantry.

Kelly913
by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:02 PM

When you buy already prepared, you're paying for someone else to do it, so it will be more expensive.  If you're going to stick with it, then buying the staples you need to make it all from scratch will be a good investment. 

AzariahsMother
We I would say coupons
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
Generics
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
Buying in bluk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:04 PM
I picked other because I just cook what comes to mind, and shop in different kinds ways depending on our need.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)