Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Question regarding DCP's and pay

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:41 PM
  • 25 Replies

Hi, Ladies. This is the best place I could find to post this.  This is kind of long.  Our DCP has been watching our son for almost 2-years.  He's five.  She is a neightbor/friend who did us a huge favor when we were in desperate need of a sitter and we've been blessed to have her and she said she's been blessed to watch our son.  Since I have a pretty lenient job schedule (I've been there for 24-years!) there were times when I'd go to work late if she had a doctors appt or things she'd have to get done early in the morning.  And there's been times I left work early so she could be at a 5:00-5:30 appt.  She was just a stay at home mom (her youngest is 19), and didn't run a day care.  Since she said this child care is what she's meant to do, she took on a couple other kids back in September.  She's thinking of becoming licensed and all that good stuff.  From the beginning we agreed to pay her $100 (M-Th) everyweek.  Rather he's there or not.  Plus, holidays.  Just like we did with our other sitter.  I told her about two months ago that we're going on vacation and two of the weeks in June, he will only be there a total of four days.  I asked her if she would just let us pay for the four days he's there.  So, basically she'd get $100 instead of $200, since he's not going to be there.  She just kind of gave me that look like, "I'll think about it".  I told her to let me know by the middle of May.  So I asked her today if she gave anymore thought to it, and she said she'd like $150.  That's meeting us half way.  Ladies, I'm f&*king furious!  I didn't let her see that though.  The reason I'm so made is because: One - We've delayed our work schedules before to work around her doctor's appts and I don't think we're asking too much.  Secondly - I told her the only reason we even asked to just pay her when he was there is because we was not aware that we wouldn't be able to park the boat where our cabin is.  So, now we have to pay a $30/day docking fee.  And lastly, which she doesn't know this, I was going to give her daughter $25 of the money I wasn't paying her for her daughter's graduation.  Since we'll be on vacation during the open house.  My S/O if pissed!  He's to the point of wanting to get a new DCP until school starts.  Please let me know how your DCP handles you going on vacation, and if you're a DCP, please tell me how you handle it.  Also, how do DCP handle bereavement?  Thanks for any feedback.   

by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barb10
by Member on May. 15, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I will be taking a babysitting/nanny job soon.Mon-Fri.I will not be getting paid when I am not watching the child.That is when we go away and when they go away and at Xmas when they have a family member visiting who watches the child for a week or so.I would find someone else if you can.My sister had a sitter at one time for my niece and she charged $25 a day just when she watched her.You might as well put your child in daycare if you have to pay when the child isnt there.I wouldnt expect to get paid when Im not babysitting.

themissheather
by New Member on May. 15, 2012 at 3:16 PM
Did I read right that the original agreement was $100/wk whether she had your child or not?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teatyme007
by Member on May. 15, 2012 at 4:23 PM
Yes, you did read that correctly. That's just a verbal. There is no official written contract. We pay her to basically work around our schedules those days. I know I wouldnt like not knowing how much I'd be bring home every week. Plus, when she and her husband were having problems and going to counselling, I left work 45 minutes two days a week for several months so they could work on their marriage. I was just hoping she'd work with us. Mind you, we gave her two months notice, too. Sorry this is so long.

Quoting themissheather:

Did I read right that the original agreement was $100/wk whether she had your child or not?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on May. 15, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I did daycare for a little while and never got paid when I did not watch the children. I' tell her how you feel nicely of course and if she won't budge find someone new.

deccaf
by on May. 15, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I have DD in a daycare center.  We are allowed 2 weeks throughout the year (with notice) in which we can have her out w/o paying.  When I babysat (years ago) I didn't get paid if there wasn't a need to have me there.  And I didn't expect it.  However, based on the original verbal agreement, and the fact that the reasons you can't pay that way (all personal, beyond anything she would be concerned with) I kind of see her point.

themissheather
by New Member on May. 15, 2012 at 4:56 PM
I can see where you are both coming from. Personally, I think her offer of meeting in the middle is reasonable. It honors the agreement you have in place. Seems to me like it's a relationship worth keeping on the up and up.

Quoting teatyme007:

Yes, you did read that correctly. That's just a verbal. There is no official written contract. We pay her to basically work around our schedules those days. I know I wouldnt like not knowing how much I'd be bring home every week. Plus, when she and her husband were having problems and going to counselling, I left work 45 minutes two days a week for several months so they could work on their marriage. I was just hoping she'd work with us. Mind you, we gave her two months notice, too. Sorry this is so long.

Quoting themissheather:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kelly913
by on May. 15, 2012 at 5:11 PM

If your child was in a child care center, you would pay whether he was there or not.  Having a neighbor watch him is so much better IMO that you'd be foolish to end the relationship.  It's not her fault you're going on vacation and didn't budget for the dock fee so she shouldn't be punished for it.  Sounds like you're upset because you didn't get what you wanted.

Childcare providers are terribly underpaid.  They deserve paid vacations just like any other job. 

ReesesPieces
by on May. 15, 2012 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this
So you're willing to end the working relationship over $50? $75 if you consider it losing money by giving her daughter a graduation gift. IDK- it seems petty to me.

Daycare for $100 a week is great from what I hear, especially since every daycare I've heard of requires payment if the child is there or not to hold the place. I'm a SAHM and if I watched someone else's kid and they were wanting to change our agreementand get bent out of shape over $50....I'd be pretty darn hurt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teatyme007
by Member on May. 15, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Quoting Kelly913:

If your child was in a child care center, you would pay whether he was there or not.  Having a neighbor watch him is so much better IMO that you'd be foolish to end the relationship.  It's not her fault you're going on vacation and didn't budget for the dock fee so she shouldn't be punished for it.  Sounds like you're upset because you didn't get what you wanted.

Childcare providers are terribly underpaid.  They deserve paid vacations just like any other job. 

If you read my reply to someone else comment, you'll see that we worked with her on several occasions when she had doctor's appts and marriage counselling.  DUring her marriage counselling, I left work twice a week 45-minutes early for at least three months so she could be at her appt on time. And did I ask for a credit from her or to compensate for the time I had to leave work?  No.  And that well exceeds $50.  Sounds like I'm upset because I didn't get what I wanted?  Kind of.  Do alot of day cares provide the parent a week free for a family vacation?  Most of them do.   

teatyme007
by Member on May. 15, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Quoting Kelly913:

You say it's not her fault we didn't budget for the docking fee?  It's not my fault her husband cheated on her and I took time off work so they could go to counselling.  I think I was working with her on that.  Was it really too much for me to asked for four days without pay? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)