Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

DIY-Ballerina Tutu Message Board

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:42 AM
  • 10 Replies

MATERIALS:

1 piece of foam board
1 yard of fabric (you'll have leftovers)
3 yards of tulle
2 yards of thick ribbon (I used pink with black polka dots)
2-4 yards of thin ribbon (I used pink and black)
1 yard of 7/8 thick ribbon or elastic
Glue gun
Scissors

How-To:

1. Cut out your foam board in the shape of a leotard. I just eye-balled it with a pencil and then used an X-Acto knife. It takes a little persistence and makes a mess, but if you have a 3 year old they will enjoy it!
  2. Lay your fabric upside down on a flat surface. Place your cut foam board onto the fabric. Cut the fabric around the foam board leaving a few inches all the way around.

3. Get your glue gun ready and start glueing away! Place some glue on the foam board and secure the fabric around on the back side. You may have to cut slits in the fabric going all the way to the foam board. Doing it in 1-2 inch sections will help.
  4. After you have secured all the fabric, turn it over and look at the beginning of your masterpiece.
  5. Next is the TuTu. This was my first time making a tutu so I referred to this YouTube video. It is very helpful and she can explain it way better than I can at the link below:

How to Make A No Sew Tutu

I did not follow her directions exactly. I used a thinner ribbon (7/8 inch) to tie my tulle to. Also I only used 3 yards worth since I was not going all the way around. I also tied ribbons around the 7/8 inch ribbon when I was done with the tulle to add some color and to provide a place to hang more things.

6. Once the tutu is made, tie the two ends in the back to secure it in place. I did it around the 'waist' of the foam board so there is a little foam board underneath the tutu.
  7. Take your 3-4 yards of thin ribbon (I used bright pink) and wrap around the body part of your foam board. This provides some more color and places to hold pictures and notes. You can do any design you like!
  8. Then take your thick ribbon and cut two pieces to the desired length for hanging. I did about 1 yard on each side. I secured one end of each piece to the back with the glue gun. Then brought the other two ends together to tie a bow. Now you can hang it!
  9. Make one more bow with your thick ribbon and safety pin it to the front of your tutu.
  10. Add some pictures (if you want)….it would be awfully cute just as decoration in a ballerina room or dance studio.

Your ballerina will love this Tutu Message Board!

by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Very cute!

momto3isme
by Dawn on May. 16, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Cute!
yvonne37
by Yvonne on May. 16, 2012 at 11:07 AM

too cute ;) this would look great on my daughter's room once she gets bigger :)

suziejax
by Suzie on May. 16, 2012 at 11:20 AM

cute

Stevensmomma
by on May. 16, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Way cute I hope I have a dd to make things like that for !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyofgirl1974
by Lyn on May. 16, 2012 at 1:30 PM

That is so adorable!!

aidansmommy219
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2012 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

That's cute. I have a bunch of tulle that I'm hoping to get the chance to use soon. I want to make a tutu for dd to go with her wings my mom bought her. Hopefully I can get it done soon because I want to take pictures of her in it. She's almost a month old and I'd like to get the pictures soon.

mommyprice09
by Ashley on May. 16, 2012 at 7:41 PM

cute

AzariahsMother
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:34 PM
That is so cute
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement