Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I just read a post by cjsmom1 about her obsession with socks.. lol :)  which trigger me to think about all those socks that are left behind and mismatched and what we could do with them.. i though sock puppets!!! yayyy!! lol.. but then I found this web site that had great ideas, so here it is

By Rebeka Wilson

EVERYONE has mismatched socks, often called ’widowed socks.’ Or they have socks that have a hole, tear or snag in them making the sock unusable as a sock. What is the frugal homemaker to do with all these excess socks that pile up in the rag box? If you have a large family, this pile can grow very quickly too!

These socks are ‘too good’ to throw away, and yet useless for anything but rags! Or are they...could a treasure be lurking in the rag bag?

On the following pages you will find many ideas and projects using the socks found in your ‘lost sock basket.’ Many of these ideas were ones I grew up with as my mother was very frugal and would reuse or find a use for anything until it was completely useless. So in many ways, this lesson is dedicated to the memory of my mother—who is still very fresh in my mind and heart, especially when thinking back to childhood days and pulling forth the ideas for this lesson.

1) Place corn starch into the toe of a sock, tie or sew the sock closed at the ankle and use to gently tap onto a baby’s bottom to help heal or prevent diaper rash. The corn starch will filter through the sock leaving a powdered layer on the baby’s skin. Use a very loose weave sock for this.

2) Place baby powder into the toe of a sock, tie or sew the sock closed at the ankle and use to tap powder onto skin. Instant powder puff!

3) Turn a sports sock inside out, place your hand inside the sock and you have an instant and very effective duster! You can go over corners, into grooves and do a thorough dusting. When finished, simply toss into the washer and reuse again!

4) When polishing wood, turn a sports sock inside out and place your hand inside. Lightly dampen with furniture oil and rub over the furniture. You will be amazed at how easy this is and how easily you can reach any area with the oiled cloth. When finished with the oil, place another sock on your hand to buff and polish the furniture to a shining finish. (i do this and i love it)

5) To make a heat therapy rice bag, place 1 cup of white rice into the toe of a tightly knit sock and sew the top closed. Heat in the microwave for 20-30 seconds (depending on how hot you wish it) and you have an instant portable heating pad for sore muscles, inflamed sinuses, joint pain, labor pain, back pain and more. Reuse indefinitely!

6) Use a clean and bleached sock to strain jelly through, when finished throw away!

7) Have a pair of thick stockings with one good leg left? Cut the good leg off at the crotch and stuff with old socks, dryer link or other rags. Sew the top closed and you have an instant way to prevent drafts from coming or going under doors.

8) Use infant or toddler socks, fill with baking flour or baby powder, tie or sew the top closed. Make one for each child who will be playing. These are perfect for boys to throw at each other while playing Army or other games. If the sock hits someone, it leaves a telltale mark like paintball, but it is much less expensive and more fun as your child can play in their own backyard. Cleanup is easy too!

9) My father, who lived through the Great Depression, would tell me how his mother and sister would use old socks to make Rag Curls. This goes back even before the depression but works very well, especially after the hair has been freshly washed and is still wet. Simply cut the socks into strips

½

10) If you freeze or place your water bottles in the refrigerator to get cold, try placing the bottle into a clean sock when you take it from the fridge. As the condensation appears on the bottle, the sock absorbs the moisture. Also works great for ice packs too!

11) My brother and I would roll up a sock, roll another one onto the first one, then take a very thin sock and place this over the roll. Twist the sock around the rolled insides, then fold back over itself again. You now have a soft type ball for indoor play or take outside. This is also a great way to teach toddlers to catch too. If they have trouble with a small ball, consider adding a few more socks to the rolled layer to make the ball larger.

12) Keep two pairs of mismatched socks in your emergency car kit. On cold nights you can use them like impromptu gloves if you find yourself needing to be outdoors and away from home.

13) My mother grew up on a cattle ranch and was raised by her pioneer grandmother. I heard how “Grannie” used to make menstral pads by taking old socks, layering them and sewing on a soft flannel top.

14) Cut old socks into thin strips and use to tie garden plants to stakes.

15) Cut the toe off of two long socks. Place one sock over each hand and pull up the elbows when pruning roses. The thorns will snag the sock and spare you skin.

16) Strips cut from socks make wonderful ties for many things in your home.

17) Smaller socks from little feet are wonderful bean bags! These were the very first thing my mother taught me to sew on her sewing machine. We filled ours with rice.

18) If you make bean bags and fill them with rice, they make WONDERFUL cold weather hand warmers by placing the bag in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Place the warmed bags into a child’s hands or pockets when they go off to school, play outdoors or come in from the cold. Little hands warm up quick!

in tight curls.danglyto 1 inch wide by 3-5 inches long. Take as much or as little hair as you like into a strand. Tie the length of cut sock to the bottom of the hair strand, roll the hair over the sock length until you reach the scalp and then tie once more. When the hair is dry, simply untie each length and allow the hair to

More to come.. ;)

Do you have an idea that you want to add/share?

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
by on May. 16, 2012 at 1:07 PM
Replies (21-21):
Moms_Angels1960
by Cheryl on May. 19, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Soapy the Sock Fish

From FamilyFun Magazine
Soapy the Sock Fish

2 years and up

Most kids love sudsing themselves, and this squeaky-clean toy helps small hands keep a grip on wet soap - without making a mess of the bar in the process.

Materials
  • A new or repurposed baby sock
  • Nondivisible embroidery thread and an embroidery needle
  • Bar of soap (we used Dove)
X  

Instructions
  1. Turn the sock inside out, then make eyes by sewing a couple of small stitches on either side of the toe just above the seam.

2. Turn the sock right side out and put the bar of soap into the toe. Securely tie off the sock with a piece of thread and trim the ends. (Be sure to rinse the sock between bath times.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)