Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Old socks... part 2 :))

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:31 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

More great ideas...

19) Turn inside out a sports sock or another sock that is lumpy or loopy (they pick up more dust and debris this way). Slip the sock over a yardstick, tied in place. You can now reach ceiling corners, behind furniture and pianos, under refrigerators, behind bookshelves and other hard to reach places that need something long and thin to dust with.

20) Cut socks into strips, sew strips together to form long widths almost like thick yarn and use to create braided rugs. If you use all white socks, when finished dye your rug to match your room. If you have used multi colored socks, you will already have an unusual pattern.

21) Socks make wonderful dish cloths! Cut the toe off of two socks that are roughly the same size. Cut the sock across the ankle and cut off the toe section too. You will now have a ‘tube’ with two open ends. Cut the tube to open it into one piece. Take both pieces, put smooth sides together (bumpy sides should be out) and pin together. Sew around all four edges; then sew an X from one corner to another and you have an instant dishcloth or scrub cloth that often surpasses store-bought ones.

22) Have wet shoes? Place clay cat litter (not the clumping modern kind into two socks, tie or sew the ends closed and place inside the shoes. The old fashioned cat litter made with clay will help absorb the moisture so the shoes will dry quicker.

23) Make sock puppets! Every child should do this at least once in their childhood. Bring out the markers, felt, scissors, glue, glitter, small pom poms, plastic wiggly eyes, pipe cleaners and any other craft type thing you have and let your children have a craft day. Use a large cardboard box to create a puppet stage and you have a day filled with old fashioned, inexpensive and fun imaginative play!

24) Old socks are great for cleaning up after children with the flu. Paper towels can be pricey and it takes a lot to clean up after sick children who don’t make it to the bathroom in time. And what busy mother with a house full of sick children looks forward to washing towels and washcloths after being used to clean up messes? Instead, have a box filled with old socks handy and toss each sock into the trash as the they are used.

25) Socks make excellent wet cloths to put on a feverish brow. My mother favored two specific old military socks when we were children. They were thick and part wool. They would hold quite a bit of moisture without allowing it to drip down our faces. She would keep these with the children’s aspirin and Tylenol in the medicine cabinet.

26) Socks work very well when shining shoes with shoe black and bring a beautiful shine to shoes with buffing.

27) Socks make excellent and soft rags for washing cars with!

28) Place socks on your hands and dust your ceiling fan or window blinds.

29) Place catnip and dryer link into a small infant or toddler sock. Tie or sew the end closed. You can even tie yarn around one end to make a ‘head’ for your cat toy. Cats love to scoot and play with these. As a child, I would tie yarn around these and run through the house with my kitty chasing behind.

30) Cut the toe and cuff off of two socks, then cut the ‘tube’ that is formed down one side. Place both flat layers together, sew around edges and place under your cooking oil to prevent oily residue on your shelves.

31) Place mothballs inside the sock, tie closed and hang in your closet. When you no longer need the mothballs or want to replace them, simply throw out the old sock and hang a new one.

32) Place cedar chips inside an old sock and tie closed. Hang in your closet or place in drawers or hope chests.

33) If you have dry hands or feet, rub lotion liberally on them at bedtime and then place your hands or feet into old socks to protect your sheets and bedding from the oily residue. While you sleep the lotion will help heal and soften your dry skin.

34) If your children get the chickenpox, place ground or beaten oatmeal into socks, tie closed and allow to float in a tepid bathtub with the child. The oatmeal powder will filter out into the water, coat your child’s skin, and leave a residue on the skin that helps reduce itching. When the bath is finished, simply throw the sock away. You won’t have chunks of oatmeal clogging your drain and this is much less expensive than purchasing Aveeno at the store. (Do NOT use hot or warm water as the heat will create more pox to erupt!!!)

35) Doll clothes—old socks make wonderful pieces of fabric for children to create doll clothes with. With a little imagination and a few cuts of an old sock girls can create a variety of doll clothes.

36) Use old socks to tie newly planted trees to a stake.

37) Long socks can have the feet cut off and be used under pants as leg warmers. Simply pull the cut sock over the socks you are wearing and up to the knee. They will keep your legs doubly warm without the added bulk in your shoes.

38) If you are painting, place old socks over your shoes to prevent them from getting paint splatters on your shoes.

39) Place cold cans of soda inside of socks when packing a picnic basket. They will help insulate the drinks as well as absorbing the moisture from condensation.

40) If you live in the country and have livestock, keep old socks handy in the barnyard. Place one or two on your hands to take care of something yucky—then dispose of the socks.

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on May. 16, 2012 at 10:39 PM

We've used them on celeing fans before!

AzariahsMother
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:40 PM
TFS
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReesesPieces
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:01 PM
My goodness.....someone put a lot of time and effort into thinking up ways to re-use socks! A+ for creativity!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suziejax
by Suzie on May. 17, 2012 at 12:37 AM

cool

momto3isme
by Dawn on May. 17, 2012 at 7:46 AM
Thanks for sharing!
Amy127
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2012 at 8:08 AM
Makes me wish I had some old socks. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yvonne37
by Yvonne on May. 17, 2012 at 9:46 AM

I know! lol.. and she is not done with her list! lol..

Quoting ReesesPieces:

My goodness.....someone put a lot of time and effort into thinking up ways to re-use socks! A+ for creativity!!

yvonne37
by Yvonne on May. 17, 2012 at 9:47 AM

lol yep.. I have actually thought of going to the dollar store and getting some! lol

Quoting Amy127:

Makes me wish I had some old socks. Lol

Stevensmomma
by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:43 AM

good ideas, we use them as rags in the garage

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN