Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Indulge Yourself Challenge #8

Posted by on May. 24, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 48 Replies

And last stop on our tour is...my city! The Big Apple. Gotham. The City So Nice they Named it Twice. New York City. It may be easier for you to make it here than overseas, but maybe it isn't in the cards this year either. No worries, as I have a few ways you can bring all of the thrill of The City That Never Sleeps to you.

-- Essential New York food. Get some fabulous bagels and schmear (that is cream cheese). Make a yummy New York cheesecake (it is richer and smother, and is usually made with heavy cream or sour cream). Have a slice...which in New York speak means to have a slice of pizza (not just any pizza, but New York style, which has a thinner crust). Another insider hint: Fold it in half as you eat it.

-- Do the New York Times crossword puzzle. Take a break from the day and do the puzzle from the paper that gives us all the news that is fit to print.

-- Play like Carrie (Bradshaw) and make yourself a Cosmo. Watching reruns of Sex and The City is optional as you sip this pink drink. How to make it: Shake 1 oz of vodka, ½ oz triple sec, ½ oz of Rose's lime juice and ½ oz of cranberry juice really well in a shaker with ice. Strain it into a glass (usually a martini glass is used). Add a wedge of lime and you are ready to go.

-- Watch some fantastic Broadway hits. There are so many classic Broadway shows that were made into great movies - like West Side Story, Singin In The Rain, Chicago (the 2002 version), the list goes on and on. Or listen to the soundtracks as you clean the house and make up some dance moves.

Have you ever been to NYC? Tell us your best story -- or what you would like to do when you do make a trip here!  

©iStockphoto.com/ SeanPavonePhoto

by on May. 24, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2012 at 8:15 AM

I've never been to NYC, I'm not interested in going to NYC or experiencing any of its "attractions", in fact I'd probably go out of my way to avoid it.  That's just me.

yvonne37
by Yvonne on May. 24, 2012 at 8:25 AM

I was born in NYC lol... I have lived there for years and I bet there are many many places and things that i have not explored yet... luckily i live very close to it, so its just a train away (or a drive) and I am still discovering the city.   :)

goddess99
by on May. 24, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I've never been there but I'd Love to go to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade then shop and hit Serendipity.

slw123
by Member on May. 24, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Subs or grinders or whatever they call them in Little Italy.

suziejax
by Suzie on May. 24, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Yes! I love it there and will go again soon

MamaMandee
by on May. 24, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I have been to New York back in my early 20's when I was living in Philly as a nanny. I went up with some friends I had made to go to a rave. 

blondie5355
by on May. 24, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I would like to see the World Trade Center area.  Still brings tears to my eyes.... I haven't been thru NYC since around 1984. I was an over-the-road truck driver with my husband back then. I'm sure a lot has changed.

ceciliam
by on May. 24, 2012 at 10:56 AM

We go often....especially in the Summer. We like to see Broadway plays, vist the museums and eat. My husband had a tradition of going to see the tree every year and then we would look at the department store windows....lots of fun times in NYC:)

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2012 at 11:00 AM

nope but I would like to!

dusky_rose
by Member on May. 24, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Never been there and have no plans to go either.

I'm thankful for a hubby that loves me, 4 healthy children, a warm
place to sleep and enough food for our meals... God bless America!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement