Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Are you more likely to shop at a store that offers set, low prices -- or are you a coupon mom?

Posted by on May. 21, 2012 at 6:21 PM
  • 25 Replies

J.C. Penney Scares Away Coupon-Loving Moms & Loses Millions (VIDEO)

Posted by Mary Fischer on May 21, 2012 

J.C. PenneyIf any major retailer shows just how out of control the phenomenon known as "extreme couponing" has gotten, it's J.C. Penney. In the first quarter of this year alone, the store reported losing a whopping $55 million, all because of couponing moms.

And it wasn't highly discounted coupons that were to blame for the drastic drop in sales. Nope. It was the fact that in February, J.C. Penney announced its plans to get rid of coupons for good. But unfortunately, they also managed to get rid of deal-seeking moms altogether as well.

Even though they lowered their prices by as much as 40 percent when they ditched the coupons, basically eliminating the need for them altogether, moms still went elsewhere to shop. If anything, their exit only helps to prove what a huge addiction shopping with coupons can be. Extreme couponing moms don't care about the price tag -- it's all about the thrill of seeing additional money taken off at the register.

I've said in the past that I have nothing against coupons, but when I wind up in the grocery store check-out line behind someone with an entire fistful of them, I tend to get more than a little bit annoyed. But in the case of department stores, even I have been known to go in with a single coupon for an extra 20 or 30 percent off -- or whatever the deal happens to be. (Who can resist saving a few bucks on a high-end pair of jeans?)

Every time I get one of those ah-maz-ing deals, I can't resist telling everyone who will listen (translation -- I update my Facebook status) about how much money I saved on an item that normally would've cost $100 bucks (or whatever). And I'm guessing in the case of extreme couponers, they feel the exhilaration of finding the deal of the century 100 times more than I do. And this is why J.C. Penney needs to seriously rethink their coupon strategy.

Having standard low prices is great, but moms aren't going to notice those low prices if they are seeing ads in the paper or finding emails in their inbox that offer extra savings at other stores who offer coupons. Nine times out of ten, coupon moms are going to choose the store where they can experience the thrill of the deal, even if they wind up paying the same price for the same item they'd get at J.C. Penney without having to use the coupon.

If Penney's really wants to reel their mom shopper base back in, they should probably reinstate at least a few coupon deals each month to satisfy money saving cravings. Extreme couponers are here to stay -- whether retailers like it or not. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

The commercial below shows J.C. Penney's rationale behind cutting coupons. It definitely makes sense, but some addictions are just too hard to break.

See commercial here

Are you more likely to shop at a store that offers set, low prices -- or are you a coupon mom?

by on May. 21, 2012 at 6:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2012 at 6:23 PM

I shop at stores that offer set, low prices, but I'm not above using a coupon if it means I can get it cheaper....which is not often the case in my area.

Kelly913
by on May. 21, 2012 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm practical like this too.  Whta difference is a 50% off coupon if the final price is still higher than I'm willing to pay for an item?  I have two Stoneyfield yogurt coupons in my purse, but haven't found a store that carries it, and have been using Trader Joe's.  Well, I make my own now that my goats are back in milk, but I still need a starter from time to time. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

I shop at stores that offer set, low prices, but I'm not above using a coupon if it means I can get it cheaper....which is not often the case in my area.

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

Renee47
by Member on May. 21, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Little bit of both>

yvonne37
by Yvonne on May. 22, 2012 at 7:48 AM

This is an excellent post! I was thinking the same thing when JC Penny came out with the news.. my thought was "ahh man.. no more coupons"... like the article states, we love to actually "see" the deal.  I loved to go in there with my $10-$20 or 20% off and rack up.  We used to buy all our family clothes at this store... I think I even posted here on a great buy for my son (3 jeans and a shirt for under $50).   But lately we have not gone to JCP because its not as thrilling as it used to be. 

I even go to the supermarket, pass all the groceries though the register, then scan my frequent shopper card, see the savings and then scan the coupons on top of that.. just to see how the amount goes down!! lol.. and its a happy moment (jeez.. my live must be very boring lol) when I swipe my card and I realize I saved 40-60%...  So please JCP hear us out and bring back the great coupons! :)

MdMom289
by Member on May. 22, 2012 at 8:53 AM

In my area coupons have never saved me much. I would much rather shop at a place that has low prices everyday.

jbyrd898
by Jessica on May. 22, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I'm not that great with coupons. I like the lower prices they have at aldis.

princess_1983
by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Both - I like set low prices but I'm not against using retail coupons.

ReesesPieces
by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:46 AM
I'm an avid couponer, but I also have the sense to know if something is a good deal - with or without a coupon. It makes it seem like couponers are brainless. Maybe the problem is actually that they really can't get as good of a deal there without the coupons.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momto3isme
by Dawn on May. 22, 2012 at 12:19 PM
I do both I shop at stores with low prices but I also use coupons. I used to get great deals at JCPenney. The last time I went I walked out without buying anything because the prices were to high on what I was going to buy.
Stevensmomma
by on May. 22, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I like both honestly 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)