Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

How can I make the most of what I've got?

I've lowered bills the most I can at this point. We only have cell phones, Internet at a lower speed because I have to have it for my online college, can't save any on utilities because they're all included in our rent so its pretty much unlimited (but we aren't wastefull) 

I also coupon. I don't work because I have school, and it would cost more for childcare than I would need to even make working worth it so we've decided for me to stay at home. I try to make up for some of it with couponing..

But still we live paycheck to paycheck and we just barely make it.. honestly most of the time we have a zero balance for a few days before payday..

I guess what I'm asking is how can I make this money last longer, or what can I do to bring more in without using daycare. I can't work at night/weekends either cause of my husband's work..

by on May. 22, 2012 at 10:24 PM
Replies (11-17):
Stevensmomma
by on May. 23, 2012 at 10:28 AM

well if you lowered everything you can the only thing really left is to work a few hours when possible you dont have a friend or family memeber that can watch the kids for a few hours 

Drew0102
by Member on May. 23, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Have searched for any grants or anything like that?

FindersKeepers
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Working at a day care center a couple of days a week is a great idea for a lot of reasons... #1 you can likely bring your DD so no child care cost   #2 It will help you get the 'hours' that you will need for your degree.    I would approach the child care center at your college, a few churches, Head Start and other day cares to see if they have openings. 

Other ideas to make money .... tutoring, work from home admin or data entry, work retail part-time when your DH is home with DD, sell items that you no longer use, recycle for money,

Ideas to save money.... clothe napkins, shop around for auto insurance, cook from scratch, make inexpensive meals with beans / rice, carpool or bike to school / work, garden some basic veggies / herbs, save your change, get hand-me-down clothes for DD, reduce or get rid of cable, shop less and only buy necessities

Quoting Kelly913:

Having it paid for makes a difference for sure.  Since you're working on a degree, can you get a job at a day care center?  I know the one at our church allows moms to enroll their kids at no cost.

What made having another child around so taxing?  Was it maybe just not a good mix of personalities?  I know that I find some kids to be terribly annoying, so I can see where there could be issues.

Quoting victoriaherring:

Its ok. I've got a full ride to school so its not costing me anything, and I plan on using it one day. The girl I use to keep was the same age as my daughter.. We were just miserable and got to the point were we didn't care to lose the extra income if we could get rid of the stress it caused.

Quoting Kelly913:

Don't mean to step on any toes, but if you don't plan to use the degree, why spend the money to get it when money is tight?  Maybe if you took in a child the same age as your daughter they would play together and ease your load rather than add to it. 

Quoting victoriaherring:

I'm studying early childhood education, and honestly I don't plan on going to work anytime soon unless its like a dire need. I plan on homeschooling. I use to keep my friends baby but it just didn't work out. The other kids took so much time away from my own daughter I felt so bad. It was such a relief when I stopped keeping her.

Quoting Kelly913:

What are you studying?  When you finish, will you be going to work in that field?

Are you able to watch someone else's kids for a little extra cash?  Cooking from scratch will save a lot of money in the long run, but if you have to buy/stock up on things you don't already have, that might not help. 

mommyprice09
by Ashley on May. 23, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Quoting cjsmom1:

The only suggestion I have is child care. There aren't many options as far as what you can do from home. There's childcare, Avon, Mary Kay, Passion Parties, and other sales jobs you can do from home. Watching another child shouldn't be that draining that you can't take care of both of them.

My friend would watch my ds (she had 3 kids of her own) but it worked great because my ds would play with her kids. Was it overwhelming sometimes, yes, but it's manageable.

http://raysofsunshineanp.blogspot.com/
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on May. 23, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Awesome tips ladies!

momto3isme
by Dawn on May. 24, 2012 at 8:20 AM
All the others have given you great advice. I can't think of anything to add that hasn't been mentioned.
Kmakksmom
by on May. 30, 2012 at 4:28 PM

These are all excellent ideas!  Good Luck to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement