Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

I made my own deodorant and it worked!

Posted by on May. 26, 2012 at 2:29 PM
  • 46 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am becoming one of those "granola" type people - apparently - because I have been coming up with ways to cut down on the amount of chemicals I put on my body - and my kids' bodies.  A friend of mine told me that she made her own deodorant, and I was skeptical.  She gave me the recipe, and I made it.  It actually WORKS!  I was beyond shocked.  Like...really.  I expected to stink.  I kept smelling my pits all day long just waiting for that first moment of stink - it didn't come.  I have worn it every day since.  I have spent a whole day baking and in the kitchen (sweating like a meatloaf), I have worked out, and I have been outside in the hot, hot, hot, humid TN weather.  I haven't stunk!  I don't even stink when I wake up in the morning!  It's kinda cool.  Just thought I'd share!  I have not only found a chemical free way to not stink, but it's pretty darn inexpensive....just baking soda, corn starch, and coconut oil.  That's it.

If you guys want the recipe you can get it from here - Chemical Free Deodorant   It also has my whole experience with it - what it felt like going on, all the nitty gritty.  :)

by on May. 26, 2012 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
e.sugarbaby
by on May. 26, 2012 at 2:39 PM
That's cool! Where do you buy the coconut oil? And what other kind of scents could you use?
ReesesPieces
by on May. 26, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Quoting e.sugarbaby:

That's cool! Where do you buy the coconut oil? And what other kind of scents could you use?

I got it from the oil section in our store - some stores have it in the Organic sections.  It comes in a jar and is a semi solid.  Kinda looks like a more lliquidy crisco, but smells SO good.  It does not taste good though - just as an FYI.  :)  I use it for cooking, but you only use a little for the deodorant, so it's fine. 

You could add essential oils to this as well if you don't like the coconut smell.  There is also non-food-grade coconut oil that would probably work for it.  I have no idea where you'd buy that, but it is used in making soaps and lotions and such - I think it could probably be found either online or maybe at crafting stores.  Not sure.  But I hear it doesn't smell like coconut.  The essential oils may be eaiser to find.  And cooking with coconut oil is great - you use so much less and it's actually healthy for you. 

e.sugarbaby
by on May. 26, 2012 at 2:52 PM
Great thanks...I'm gonna try this!

Do you use coconut oil ehenyou cook instead of something else or do your recipes call for it? I have never used it but like the idea that it's healthier.
ReesesPieces
by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting e.sugarbaby:

Do you use coconut oil ehenyou cook instead of something else or do your recipes call for it? I have never used it but like the idea that it's healthier.

I use coconut oil for sauteeing things instead of vegetable oil or extra virgin olive oil.  I do this because vegetable and canola oils are just generally unhealthy.  Olive oil is healthy but because of the large range of "smoking points" - which is where the oil starts to break down - it isn't ideal for cooking.  It's great on salads and stuff like that, though.  So I stick with grapseed oil and coconut oil when cooking - it has a higher smoking point.  The coconut oil has healthy fats that help raise "good" cholesterol and lower bad cholesterol.  It is also reported that it helps with metabolism and helps boost immunity.  I just like it because it's healthier, it uses less, and doesn't go rancid when I cook with it.  :)

ReesesPieces
by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Also, If I'm feeling a bit dry, I also take a little of the coconut oil and rub it into my skin.  If my hair is a bit dry and frizzy (I'm doing the "no shampoo" method of washing my hair) I put a tiny bit of coconut oil in it. 

Stevensmomma
by on May. 26, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Tahnks I think I might try it !

Kelly913
by on May. 26, 2012 at 4:42 PM

You can use coconut oil in any recipe calling for butter (or margerine for that matter) or any other oil/fat.  I like the flavor, I just don't cook eggs with it because I don't like that flavor combo. 

Quoting e.sugarbaby:

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

Kelly913
by on May. 26, 2012 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

You can make your own toothpaste with coconut oil too.  Equal parts oil and baking soda, with about 20-25 drops of peppermint (I use citrus oils instead) essential oil per 3 tbps of ingredients.

The reason you don't stink with this kind of deodorant is that coconut oil and baking soda are anti bacterial.  They kill the stinky bacteria, which is what gives you body odor.

FYI for anyone reading.  Using antipersperants is a bad idea.  Our body was made to sweat to get rid of toxins.  Where will they go if you aren't sweating? 

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Yay!

I don't use deodorant or anti-perspirant any more.  I've found that since I changed our eating style (whole foods, grain-free, no sugar, no legumes, no milk or yogurt), my sweat doesn't smell.  I just wash in the morning and at night and I'm fine.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Quoting Kelly913:

FYI for anyone reading.  Using antipersperants is a bad idea.  Our body was made to sweat to get rid of toxins.  Where will they go if you aren't sweating? 

I drink a lot of water to help flush the toxins (what few I still ingest) out of my body.   Maybe that's another reason I don't smell when I sweat. 

I agree that antiperspirants are not a good thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)