Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

I made my own deodorant and it worked!

Posted by   + Show Post

I am becoming one of those "granola" type people - apparently - because I have been coming up with ways to cut down on the amount of chemicals I put on my body - and my kids' bodies.  A friend of mine told me that she made her own deodorant, and I was skeptical.  She gave me the recipe, and I made it.  It actually WORKS!  I was beyond shocked.  Like...really.  I expected to stink.  I kept smelling my pits all day long just waiting for that first moment of stink - it didn't come.  I have worn it every day since.  I have spent a whole day baking and in the kitchen (sweating like a meatloaf), I have worked out, and I have been outside in the hot, hot, hot, humid TN weather.  I haven't stunk!  I don't even stink when I wake up in the morning!  It's kinda cool.  Just thought I'd share!  I have not only found a chemical free way to not stink, but it's pretty darn inexpensive....just baking soda, corn starch, and coconut oil.  That's it.

If you guys want the recipe you can get it from here - Chemical Free Deodorant   It also has my whole experience with it - what it felt like going on, all the nitty gritty.  :)

by on May. 26, 2012 at 2:29 PM
Replies (41-46):
tatinbriansmom
by Member on May. 27, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Bump for later
suziejax
by Suzie on May. 28, 2012 at 1:16 AM

clapping

Queen_Bree
by Member on May. 28, 2012 at 1:49 AM

http://www.livestrong.com/article/171209-how-to-make-natural-soap-without-lye/

http://www.bulkapothecary.com/meltandpoursoapbase.htm

I use this method and the all natural soap base from this site to make soap at home. I add shea butter, honey and black seed oil to my mix but you can add any combination of ingredients that you like without having to mess around with lye at home. I wish you the best.

Quoting ReesesPieces:

Thanks Kelly913 for the links.  I am scared to make my own soap with the lye.  It's just not something I want around with the kids.  So I've been looking around at places to buy it online and also getting other ideas on more chemical free things I can do. 

Queen_Bree
by Member on May. 28, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Also if it persists cut back on the amount of soda and add a little cornstarch or arrow root powder. The baking soda can be too much and that can add to the swollen glands as well. I wish you the best!

Quoting ReesesPieces:

Glad you told me that because I started getting some last night and was worried that I wasn't dealing with the deodorant well, but it wasn't itchy or anything - just swolen glands that were more annoying than anything.  So thanks....I'm happy to know I'm normal.  :)

Quoting Queen_Bree:

And FYI you may experience some swollen glands under the arm pits when you begin to use the all natural deodorant because all those toxins are leaving your body. That happened to me and it didnt last long but was annoying.All in all it was worth it.  I will never wear an antiperspirant again.

Quoting Kelly913:

You can make your own toothpaste with coconut oil too.  Equal parts oil and baking soda, with about 20-25 drops of peppermint (I use citrus oils instead) essential oil per 3 tbps of ingredients.

The reason you don't stink with this kind of deodorant is that coconut oil and baking soda are anti bacterial.  They kill the stinky bacteria, which is what gives you body odor.

FYI for anyone reading.  Using antipersperants is a bad idea.  Our body was made to sweat to get rid of toxins.  Where will they go if you aren't sweating? 

ReesesPieces
by on May. 28, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Thank you!   You are awesome!  Wow.....I'm just so excited!  Thank you!    And thanks also for the tips on the swollen glands.  Such great info!

Quoting Queen_Bree:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/171209-how-to-make-natural-soap-without-lye/

http://www.bulkapothecary.com/meltandpoursoapbase.htm

I use this method and the all natural soap base from this site to make soap at home. I add shea butter, honey and black seed oil to my mix but you can add any combination of ingredients that you like without having to mess around with lye at home. I wish you the best.

Quoting ReesesPieces:

Thanks Kelly913 for the links.  I am scared to make my own soap with the lye.  It's just not something I want around with the kids.  So I've been looking around at places to buy it online and also getting other ideas on more chemical free things I can do. 

AzariahsMother
by on May. 28, 2012 at 1:01 PM

TFS!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement