Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

I made my own deodorant and it worked!

Posted by   + Show Post

I am becoming one of those "granola" type people - apparently - because I have been coming up with ways to cut down on the amount of chemicals I put on my body - and my kids' bodies.  A friend of mine told me that she made her own deodorant, and I was skeptical.  She gave me the recipe, and I made it.  It actually WORKS!  I was beyond shocked.  Like...really.  I expected to stink.  I kept smelling my pits all day long just waiting for that first moment of stink - it didn't come.  I have worn it every day since.  I have spent a whole day baking and in the kitchen (sweating like a meatloaf), I have worked out, and I have been outside in the hot, hot, hot, humid TN weather.  I haven't stunk!  I don't even stink when I wake up in the morning!  It's kinda cool.  Just thought I'd share!  I have not only found a chemical free way to not stink, but it's pretty darn inexpensive....just baking soda, corn starch, and coconut oil.  That's it.

If you guys want the recipe you can get it from here - Chemical Free Deodorant   It also has my whole experience with it - what it felt like going on, all the nitty gritty.  :)

by on May. 26, 2012 at 2:29 PM
Replies (11-20):
Marsella
by New Member on May. 26, 2012 at 7:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Another great homemade deoderant option is a quick spray of vinegar and a light dusting of baking soda after that dries. My career demands that I be oder free, including pleasant scents. This was recommended by a friend of mine and I have never gone back! I have a mist bottle of vinegar and an old powder puff in the bathroom for after my showers. I never stick at all!

ReesesPieces
by on May. 26, 2012 at 10:09 PM
I am thoroughly impressed with this deodorant! I just finished burst training - 20 minutes of sheer workout Hell - and it's still going strong!

Thanks for the toothpaste idea. I am so impressed with all my homemade chemical free stuff so far!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReesesPieces
by on May. 26, 2012 at 10:10 PM
That's pretty neat! Do they sell old-school powder puffs anymore?

Quoting Marsella:

Another great homemade deoderant option is a quick spray of vinegar and a light dusting of baking soda after that dries. My career demands that I be oder free, including pleasant scents. This was recommended by a friend of mine and I have never gone back! I have a mist bottle of vinegar and an old powder puff in the bathroom for after my showers. I never stick at all!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidansmommy219
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Yay for saving money and not stinking ;-) lol

my6kids4ever
by New Member on May. 26, 2012 at 10:16 PM

OHHH thank god, My daughter has had a REALLY hard time with the "STINKY" part of puberty (arms that is) so I WILL try this Thank you thank you thankyou!!!

ReesesPieces
by on May. 26, 2012 at 11:10 PM
Hope it works for her!! It's nice that it can go into an empty deodorant container so it looks like normal stuff, so she could get the benefits of chemical free stuff without looking like a weirdo. :) lol

Quoting my6kids4ever:

OHHH thank god, My daughter has had a REALLY hard time with the "STINKY" part of puberty (arms that is) so I WILL try this Thank you thank you thankyou!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by on May. 26, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Very cool

Queen_Bree
by Member on May. 26, 2012 at 11:48 PM

And FYI you may experience some swollen glands under the arm pits when you begin to use the all natural deodorant because all those toxins are leaving your body. That happened to me and it didnt last long but was annoying.All in all it was worth it.  I will never wear an antiperspirant again.

Quoting Kelly913:

You can make your own toothpaste with coconut oil too.  Equal parts oil and baking soda, with about 20-25 drops of peppermint (I use citrus oils instead) essential oil per 3 tbps of ingredients.

The reason you don't stink with this kind of deodorant is that coconut oil and baking soda are anti bacterial.  They kill the stinky bacteria, which is what gives you body odor.

FYI for anyone reading.  Using antipersperants is a bad idea.  Our body was made to sweat to get rid of toxins.  Where will they go if you aren't sweating? 

Queen_Bree
by Member on May. 26, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Just wondering what other kind of chemical free products u use at home.

Quoting ReesesPieces:

Also, If I'm feeling a bit dry, I also take a little of the coconut oil and rub it into my skin.  If my hair is a bit dry and frizzy (I'm doing the "no shampoo" method of washing my hair) I put a tiny bit of coconut oil in it. 

Kelly913
by on May. 27, 2012 at 12:10 AM

I didn't check this particular recipe, but if the temp in your home is over 76°, the coconut oil will liquefy and ooze out the bottom of a typical deodorant container.  Trust me on this, lol!  I just rub my hand across the bathroom counter to apply mine because it melts out.  I did just read to add melted beeswax to the mix to keep this from happening.

Quoting ReesesPieces:

Hope it works for her!! It's nice that it can go into an empty deodorant container so it looks like normal stuff, so she could get the benefits of chemical free stuff without looking like a weirdo. :) lol

Quoting my6kids4ever:

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement