Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

You CAN save money and only buy healthy stuff!!!

Posted by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:50 PM
  • 25 Replies

I am a die-hard couponer.  Now that I have a new-found gluten intolerance and have changed all of our eating habits from the processed junk to only real foods - whole food ingredients that I can pronounce, I was presented with a new challenge....saving money while buying only healthy, nutritious foods.  Could I do it?

I hear a lot of people say that they can't coupon because they only eat healthy food.  Well, I did just that.  I didn't buy any of the junk from the middle of the store.  I bought organic milk, cage free eggs, no sugar added (not even fake sugar) yogurt, a bunch of produce, hummus, pita chips (the only processed thing I bought), real maple syrup, and 3 packs of Jennie-O turkey burgers.  My total was $55.80.  My savings was $53.90.  $22 of that was in COUPONS - yes, actual COUPONS - for the good stuff. 

So there....you CAN shop healthy and use coupons.  It helps to have a store that cares about good foods and provides store coupons for them on occasion,  but even so...I saved quite a bit of money and feel good that my family is eating healthy - and cheap - food.  I kind of feel vindicated after this challenge.  :)

by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stevensmomma
by on May. 26, 2012 at 4:13 PM

WOW great job !!!!!!!

Kelly913
by on May. 26, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Glad it worked for you.  The first 3 things on your list we raise ourselves.  The next we get thru our CSA and farmer's market, don't use the next 2 or the last 1, and we buy 100% pure maple syrup at Costco.  If you have one near and have a membership, I've found it to be less expensive there than anywhere else even with a coupon.  Check to see if you live near a drop site for Azure Standard.  You can buy groceries to be delivered and it's far less than discounts with coupons.  http://www.azurestandard.com/.  I used to coupon too, but there simply aren't coupons for the stuff I use or else it's still more to use them than to buy elsewhere. 

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Yay!  I'm a firm believer that healthy eating doesn't need to be expensive.  We're grain-free, too, and I spent less than $86.16 today for all groceries for 6 people:  over 1/2 of it was produce, then I had a few canned goods, nuts, and some cheeses.  Unfortunately, we don't have "healthy" friendly stores around here.  I can't wait for my garden to start producing!

jbyrd898
by Jessica on May. 26, 2012 at 5:56 PM

awesome!

ReesesPieces
by on May. 26, 2012 at 9:57 PM
Thanks! I'll have to check it out. I've been trying to find food co-ops and stuff like this. We have some amazing Farmers Markets but I'm also look for raw milk and raw honey. I am all about getting food from the source.

Quoting Kelly913:

Glad it worked for you.  The first 3 things on your list we raise ourselves.  The next we get thru our CSA and farmer's market, don't use the next 2 or the last 1, and we buy 100% pure maple syrup at Costco.  If you have one near and have a membership, I've found it to be less expensive there than anywhere else even with a coupon.  Check to see if you live near a drop site for Azure Standard.  You can buy groceries to be delivered and it's far less than discounts with coupons.  http://www.azurestandard.com/.  I used to coupon too, but there simply aren't coupons for the stuff I use or else it's still more to use them than to buy elsewhere. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReesesPieces
by on May. 26, 2012 at 10:02 PM
We are prepping our soil for a garden. Here, with no top soil and lots of clay and rock, it takes quite a lot of effort to get a garden ready! I seriously cannot wait!! This is my 2nd year without a garden and I'm going nuts! I have a few things in containers but it's not enough!

Quoting michiganmom116:

Yay!  I'm a firm believer that healthy eating doesn't need to be expensive.  We're grain-free, too, and I spent less than $86.16 today for all groceries for 6 people:  over 1/2 of it was produce, then I had a few canned goods, nuts, and some cheeses.  Unfortunately, we don't have "healthy" friendly stores around here.  I can't wait for my garden to start producing!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyOfOne2710
by Member on May. 26, 2012 at 10:02 PM
The only stores we have around here are Wal-Mart and a Cash Wise. Neither are good for buying healthy food. Fresh produce is so expensive. :( Then there are a few organic stores, but they really are expensive. As in, so expensive that walking in there makes me want to cry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReesesPieces
by on May. 26, 2012 at 10:06 PM
We have those too. I just drive past them! There are so many organic products that don't actually help your health. It's like organic cookies. Just don't eat cookies! :). Lol. But yeah, it's hard to have limited options. Maybe there's a local farmers market? I know out west they have Bountiful Baskets and a lot of my friends get them - I am so darn jealous at how cheap they are. Maybe your area has something like that?

Quoting MommyOfOne2710:

The only stores we have around here are Wal-Mart and a Cash Wise. Neither are good for buying healthy food. Fresh produce is so expensive. :( Then there are a few organic stores, but they really are expensive. As in, so expensive that walking in there makes me want to cry.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidansmommy219
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I also feel really good when I save a bunch of money using coupons. I wish there were some stores around here that have store coupons for groceries like produce. I try to only buy the produce thats on sale but sometimes we want things that aren't on sale lol. Great job saving!

Kelly913
by on May. 26, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Try these sites too.  http://www.localharvest.org/  and  http://www.eatwild.com/   There are more, but I'm having trouble thinking of them.  What part of TN are you in, if you don't mind sharing.  We looked at possibly moving to the western area of the state a few years ago, but found the small towns to be far too unwelcoming.

Quoting ReesesPieces:

Thanks! I'll have to check it out. I've been trying to find food co-ops and stuff like this. We have some amazing Farmers Markets but I'm also look for raw milk and raw honey. I am all about getting food from the source.

Quoting Kelly913:

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN