Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Oh my goodnes soo many medical bills!

Posted by   + Show Post

Hey everyone -

Just had my DD 3 1/2 months ago -

Of course with that I got my Hospital bill, my doctor bill and my anesthesiologist bill.

Then 2 1/2 weeks later my DD had to go to the childrens hosptial (Shes okay now!) And with that came the Hospital bill, the nurse bill, the spinal tab/blood cultures bills ( done 3 times ), the infectious disease doctor, and then another bill that came w/ that which I dont remember.

AND THEN of course, I have her pediatrion bills, my ob/gyn bills, and basic practioner bills and my birth control bill.

Minus just these 14 bills, I have 4 credit card bills on top of that, and the electric bill. Luckily my parents have paid for my suv and my car insurance, the boyfriend pays for our rent, cell phone bill, food and baby needs.

I do not make very much at all - i work part time retail -- they dont give me any hours!! SOOO i am going back to school to become a Medical assistant.

BUT there is no way I can pay off all of these bills ( this is a $800/ mo to pay allof these off..)
OHH BOY!

by on May. 29, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Replies (11-20):
othermom
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2012 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Hospital bills are horrible. It cost us over $1000 to get my daughters stitches even with our insurance

ReesesPieces
by on May. 29, 2012 at 11:04 PM

My suggestion would be to see if they have financial assistance available.  Usually it is as simple as filling out a couple of forms.  If not, pay what you can pay - unless you have already agreed to pay a set amount.  If you can only pay $50 on one, pay it. They will accept the check and it will keep your account from going to collections most of the time.  But, if you said you'd pay X per month, you have to stick with that agreement. 

Another great thing you can do is get a big chunk of money together (yard sale, tax return, etc) and offer them 50% as payment in full for the debt.  Get it in writing if they agree to it, and then pay them off.  That's the best thing you can do.  Even if they agree to 70%, that's still a significant savings. 

momto3isme
by Dawn on May. 30, 2012 at 7:33 AM
I have been there. Call and set up a payment agreement.
MommaChelsea1
by Member on May. 30, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Not true, about not going to collections. I can only make $25 per medical bill - i didnt make a set payment plan because I knew what they were gonna say were gonna cost me too much money. so I was making the $25 by the time it was due - and just got a notice saying im going to collections for not paying it in full. We live in an apartment and cant do a yard sale - plus we dont have excess stuff we dont need - we just have what we need - great advise though!!

Quoting ReesesPieces:

My suggestion would be to see if they have financial assistance available.  Usually it is as simple as filling out a couple of forms.  If not, pay what you can pay - unless you have already agreed to pay a set amount.  If you can only pay $50 on one, pay it. They will accept the check and it will keep your account from going to collections most of the time.  But, if you said you'd pay X per month, you have to stick with that agreement. 

Another great thing you can do is get a big chunk of money together (yard sale, tax return, etc) and offer them 50% as payment in full for the debt.  Get it in writing if they agree to it, and then pay them off.  That's the best thing you can do.  Even if they agree to 70%, that's still a significant savings. 

MommaChelsea1
by Member on May. 30, 2012 at 10:43 AM

the payment agreement costs too much for me :(

Quoting momto3isme:

I have been there. Call and set up a payment agreement.

Stevensmomma
by on May. 30, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Apply for some typ of state aide or (charity care) and see if they can help. If not pay your credit cards and other household bills first and then if you have anything you can put towards the medical bills put it

blondie5355
by on May. 30, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Even if you have insurance I would go talk to the finance dept at the hospital. my dd had 3 brain surgeries in 6 months - over $575,000. we applied for assistance, and based on income, we qualified within $1.00!!! especially since it sounds like you are a single mom.

ReesesPieces
by on May. 30, 2012 at 11:24 AM
There's just no way you could not qualify for assistance based on what you're describing - unless there are other variables. Have you looked into it? Have you called and asked for financial assistance? It takes effort on your part to get it done but it can get done. I'm not talking out of my butt here - I've had 5 kids myself and have helped a lot of people get financial assistance with medical bills over the years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaChelsea1
by Member on May. 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM

no i havent asked for financial assistance. i may call today

Quoting ReesesPieces:

There's just no way you could not qualify for assistance based on what you're describing - unless there are other variables. Have you looked into it? Have you called and asked for financial assistance? It takes effort on your part to get it done but it can get done. I'm not talking out of my butt here - I've had 5 kids myself and have helped a lot of people get financial assistance with medical bills over the years.

MommaChelsea1
by Member on May. 30, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I hope your DD is doing better! Well - im considered a single mom - not married or engaged. but her dad, my boyfriend, is involved. Although - he is paying for all of our rent, or electricity bill, cell phones, internet, food for us, food for the baby and both of our gas to fill up the cars. He makes a nice amount of money, but not enough to cover his car insurance and his car payment on top of all of our medical bills. I can't ask him to help me with that, hes paying for pretty much everything and I feel bad because Im stuck currently at a dead end retail job making $8.35 and hour where my hours vary from 4 hours a week to 20. If I made 32 hours a week average in 2 weeks, id have no problem! BUt since im considered part time, 32 hours a week is full time and i cant work that.

BUTTT thats why im going back to school to become an MA ( 8 month degree woot woot) and making double an hour what I am making right now - so at that point, I will be able to make all my bills and not have to worry too much!

Quoting blondie5355:

Even if you have insurance I would go talk to the finance dept at the hospital. my dd had 3 brain surgeries in 6 months - over $575,000. we applied for assistance, and based on income, we qualified within $1.00!!! especially since it sounds like you are a single mom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement