Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Summer Recipes That Save $$$

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 42 Replies

So we are all saving up, trying to find some extra cash to spend on summertime fun. One of the main areas we can trim is the grocery budget. In the summer, we are outdoors more, using that grill, but the cost of meat can really add up...as can food that was munched by critters and creepy-crawlies. Fresh foods can sometimes cost more than we want to spend. Need some new ideas beyond pasta salad and hamburgers? Look no further!

Fruity Grilled Shrimp Skewers (From MyRecipes.com) 

1/4 cup fresh lime juice

1/4 cup olive oil

1 small clove garlic, minced

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper

2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined

2 mangoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes

1 pineapple, peeled, cored, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 4 cups)

Salt and pepper

Mix lime juice, olive oil, garlic and crushed red pepper in a bowl. Add shrimp, mangoes and pineapple. Toss well and season with salt and pepper. Prepare a charcoal fire and let burn to a gray ash (or preheat a gas grill to medium). Drain shrimp, mango and pineapple and pat dry, reserving liquid. Thread on metal skewers, alternating shrimp and fruit. Brush with reserved liquid and season with salt and pepper. Grill until shrimp is cooked through and pineapple is lightly browned, about 3 minutes per side. Serve warm.

Black Bean Quesadillas (from Delish.com)

1 can(s) (15-ounce) black beans, rinsed

1/2 cup(s) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, preferably pepper Jack

1/2 cup(s) prepared fresh salsa, divided

4  (8-inch) whole-wheat tortillas

2 teaspoon(s) canola oil, divided

1  ripe avocado, diced

Combine beans, cheese, and 1/4 cup salsa in a medium bowl. Place tortillas on a work surface. Spread 1/2 cup filling on half of each tortilla. Fold tortillas in half, pressing gently to flatten. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 2 quesadillas and cook, turning once, until golden on both sides, 2 to 4 minutes total. Transfer to a cutting board and tent with foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and quesadillas. Serve the quesadillas with avocado and the remaining salsa.

Slowcooker Lime Chicken and Rice (From AllRecipes)

1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

1/3 cup lime juice

2 cups chicken broth

1 clove garlic, minced

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves

1/4 teaspoon black pepper 

2 tablespoons butter

2 cups uncooked instant rice

Place the chicken breasts into a slow cooker; pour in the lime juice and chicken stock. Add the garlic, thyme, pepper, and butter. Cover, and cook on Low until the chicken is very tender, 8 to 10. Stir in the rice during the last 15 minutes of cooking time.

Lemon Pepper Chicken Kebabs with Tzatziki Sauce (From 5 Dollar Dinners)

Grab cut yellow squash, zucchini, red peppers and chicken and place on skewers. Marinate it in lemon, pepper and olive oil. Grill til done and take off skewers. Serve with Tzatziki Sauce (Mix together 2 cups PLAIN Yogurt (drained thru coffee filter to remove excess moisture),1 large clove of garlic, Juice of 1/2 lemon, 1/2 cup grated, seedless cucumber and pinch of salt.

What is your best low-cost recipe?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ marekuliasz 

by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jun. 4, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Those sound yummy!

ReesesPieces
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 12:26 AM
The first one sounds divine!!! It's making me hungry at 11:30 pm - that's not good. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 8:17 AM

My favorite low cost recipe is Colorado beans. I make them in the crockpot.

1 can each kidney beans, lima beans, yellow limas (all drained) pork and beans. a half lb of chopped cooked bacon,  4 large onions, sliced, about a half cup brown sugar, about a half cup vinegar- adjust to taste. I cook it all day in the crockpot.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Grilled Chicken Legs

• 4 chicken leg quarters, divided into drumsticks and thighs if desired
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • 1 tsp. seasoning salt
  • 1 tsp. paprika
  • 1 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 to 3 Tbsp. water

Combine all ingredients in a ziplock bag. Add chicken and chill for up to 4 hours. Grill over low heat until browned on all sides, turning once, about 30 to 40 minutes a side, until meat is all cooked and juices run clear when poked with a fork or tip of a knife.

TheBabyFactory4
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 8:21 AM
Sounds yummy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 8:22 AM
I know. I love shrimp

Quoting ReesesPieces:

The first one sounds divine!!! It's making me hungry at 11:30 pm - that's not good. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this

We like to dice potatoes and onions and slice peppers and mix them together.  Put 1 cup on a square of aluminum foil and dot with 1/2 Tbsp. butter.  Wrap foil around veggies and seal.  Grill right along with your meat.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

I know. I love shrimp

Quoting ReesesPieces:

I looked at that one and thought "this saves $$??  When is shrimp cheap?"

Then again, I don't like shrimp and won't cook or eat it.

TheBabyFactory4
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 8:25 AM
I live near the coast. During shrimp season we can get it fairly cheap straight off the boats.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

I know. I love shrimp

Quoting ReesesPieces:

I looked at that one and thought "this saves $$??  When is shrimp cheap?"

Then again, I don't like shrimp and won't cook or eat it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yvonne37
by Yvonne on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:17 AM

i love food during summer, its so easy and light. My family does not like to eat "heavy" during summer, most of times we through something on the grill with a salad, we have sandwiches and fruit salads.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)