Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Easy Desserts You Can Make For Pennies

Posted by   + Show Post

I love ice cream. I'm fairly simple with my taste - vanilla is my go-to, though I am tempted by a nice berry sorbet or a hot fudge sundae. When you are doing summertime entertaining, its tough to think beyond the (ice cream) bowl, but there are some yummy dessert recipes that you can serve or bring to the potluck picnic that will cost you pennies to make. Scan this list at your own risk - you will be drooling for some sweets after. 

Angel food and Anything (This one I got from my mom.)

Get an angel food cake (store-bought or your own). Add berries or whipped cream or cut into slices and layer with fruit compote (or whipped cream and blueberries) for a triple-decker dessert sandwich.

Orange Slices with Warm Raspberries (from Eating Well)

4 seedless oranges, such as navel oranges

2 tablespoons sugar, or Splenda Granular

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

2 cups frozen unsweetened raspberries, (not thawed)

With a sharp knife, remove and discard the skin and white pith from oranges; slice the oranges crosswise and arrange on 4 dessert plates. Combine sugar (or Splenda), lemon juice and cinnamon in a small saucepan; stir over low heat until bubbling. Add raspberries and stir gently until the berries are just thawed. Spoon over the orange slices and serve immediately.

Chocolate Snack Cake (From Taste of Home)

2 eggs plus 2 egg whites

2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce

1/3 cup canola oil

2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup sugar

1/3 cup baking cocoa

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

6 cups frozen vanilla yogurt

In a bowl, beat eggs and egg whites. Add the applesauce, oil, chocolate and vanilla; mix well. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to egg mixture just until combined. Pour into a 9-in. springform pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan; remove sides of pan. Cut into wedges; serve with frozen yogurt.

Rhubarb Berry Delight Salad (from Taste of Home)

4 cups diced fresh rhubarb or frozen rhubarb

2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries

1-1/2 cups sugar, divided

1 package (6 ounces) raspberry gelatin

2 cups boiling water

1 cup milk

1 envelope unflavored gelatin

1/4 cup cold water

1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream

In a large saucepan, cook rhubarb, strawberries and 1 cup sugar until fruit is tender. In a large bowl, dissolve raspberry gelatin in boiling water. Stir in fruit; set aside. In another saucepan, heat milk and remaining sugar over low until sugar is dissolved. Meanwhile, soften unflavored gelatin in cold water. Add to hot milk mixture and stir until gelatin dissolves. Remove from the heat; add vanilla. Cool to lukewarm; blend in sour cream. Set aside at room temperature. Pour a third of the fruit mixture into a 3-qt. bowl; chill until almost set. Spoon a third of the sour cream mixture over fruit; chill until almost set. Repeat layers twice, chilling between layers if necessary. Refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours

Fruit dessert

©iStockphoto.com/ Debbismirnoff 

by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-45):
mommyprice09
by Ashley on Jun. 21, 2012 at 7:26 PM

ooo tfs

mommyprice09
by Ashley on Jun. 21, 2012 at 7:27 PM

one of ouir favs is sundaes and no bake cookies

cjsmom1
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 8:38 PM

These sound soooo good

mommyprice09
by Ashley on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:55 PM

mmm

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Jun. 30, 2012 at 4:19 PM

those pics look so yummy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement