Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Fun on A Budget Challenge #1

Posted by   + Show Post

All of this talk of summer eating inspiring you to make some fun? Well, welcome to the Fun on a Budget Challenge #1! Yup, for the next few weeks, every Thursday, we will have hints on how to have a good time while on a budget or how to get some extra cash to go forth and make some fun.

First up: the BBQ party. Perhaps you do an annual Fourth of July soiree or host all of the dads for a Father's Day Backyard BBQ. Awesome fun, but anytime you host a party, the costs add up, especially if you are grilling meat, steaks or anything really for a lot of people.

Here are some fabulous tips on keeping costs down while boosting the fun.

DIY Decorations - Enlist your kids to help with this one. Have them gather things from the garden to make centerpieces. Even a cool rock pile that the boys arrange is a cute idea. Better yet, have them paint rocks in with the colors of the theme (red, white and blue for Independence Day). Have them make paper fans or other origami ornaments for the buffet table.

BYOB or BYOD or BYOA - You are providing the main food and fun, no one will mind pitching in a little. Sure, have a few sodas and lemonade on hand, but ask your guests to bring their own beer or wine or a pitcher of sweet tea. Same goes door desserts or appetizers. Have folks to bring their favorite cookie or a bag of chips and some dip.

Keep it Simple - Don't be a restaurant with a gazillion options. Have two choices - burgers or chicken or hot dogs and chicken...limit it and you can then buy the ingredients in bulk. Make it interesting by providing different toppings or types of mustard or hot sauce. Same goes for drinks if you are providing them. Stick to beer and wine only or make a large batch of sangria.

Share your best BBQ planning tip!

ŠiStockphoto.com/ MCCAIG 

by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
ReesesPieces
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 11:13 PM
It is really practical and I am glad we do it that way. My kids love hotdogs and I only buy the kosher ones without all the extra junk in there, so everyone else can bring and eat the spare parts hot dogs and we can enjoy decent hot dogs and organic chicken.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting ReesesPieces:

My sister's family has BYOM (Bring your own meat) parties. Her hubby grills everyone's meat of choice and they provide the sides. It helps keep us finicky healthy people happy. :)

I like this idea!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jbyrd898
by Jessica on Jun. 9, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Definitely if we have a cookout it is good to get people to bring different things. Really helps!

mallowcup17
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:28 AM

some great ideas! 

mallowcup17
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:30 AM

thats a wonderful idea especially when not everyone eats the same types of things! this would definitley work with my friends and family i believe. 

Quoting ReesesPieces:

It is really practical and I am glad we do it that way. My kids love hotdogs and I only buy the kosher ones without all the extra junk in there, so everyone else can bring and eat the spare parts hot dogs and we can enjoy decent hot dogs and organic chicken.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting ReesesPieces:

My sister's family has BYOM (Bring your own meat) parties. Her hubby grills everyone's meat of choice and they provide the sides. It helps keep us finicky healthy people happy. :)

I like this idea!

cupomeow
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:48 AM

We plan on having a BBQ this year with about 30 people. We are planning on smoking a baloney chub, a turkey breast and maybe a brisket or pork roast.Thankfully I have access to a meat slicer which will make it easier to make the meat sandwich ready. Then have a few different types of bread and toppings like tomatoes, lettuce, onion and condiments. The guests can bring sides and drinks. I like to do just bring yourself parties but it is too expensive when you have lots of guests. Plus when you do BYOSD people get to show off their cooking skills and everyone gets a to try new things.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Potluck for sure!

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Jun. 9, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Depending on how many guests, we plan on asking or not.  For bigger crowds I usually write down a menu and then when inviting people I ask them if they can bring an item from my list (usually that would be something like potato salad, chips, drinks or deserts). 

ceciliam
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 3:37 PM

We just like to keep it simple.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:35 PM
No alcohol here sometimes we do it potluck style
TheBabyFactory4
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 5:53 PM
I like this but we don't normally host BBQ. It's expensive

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

Have everyone bring a dish,.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement