Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Budgeting For Summer Fun

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 47 Replies
4 moms liked this

So, yes, we can talk about doing free or close-to-free fun things about town on in your home, but what about little ways to save up money for some fun that costs more than close-to-free fun? Where do we find those bits of extra cash that can add up to a lot of cash...or at least enough for some extra ice cream cones?

-- Make a change jar. We've heard this one a lot and it can be a fun and good way to find some extra bucks to do some small things. Empty your purse and pockets whenever you get home and by the end of the week, see what you have.

-- Use the right amount of stuff. From soap to shampoo, dishwashing liquid to laundry detergent, use the right amount. Many of us use too much, which means we get to that empty bottle faster, which means we have to buy more...which costs money. Buy using a good amount each time, you can save some bucks. Put that $4.99 you would usually have to use on buying that soap too soon into the Fun Fund.

-- $10 Set-Aside. Whenever you get a $10 put it in an envelope until you reach a goal (maybe $50 or $100). Use that for fun money

-- Plan ahead. This is usually what trips many of is up - last minute purchases or on the go buys that we could have avoided if we had just planned ahead a little more diligently.

How are you finding extra dollars for summer fun? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Hatman12

by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 8:15 AM
We have a change jar, and I'm also hoarding loose change and dollar bills that I find lying around the house or are in the laundry. I also take $20 from each paycheck and squirrel it away where no one else can find it. Now I just hope that I don't forget where it is, too.
Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 8:33 AM

We have been putting back any extra money we may have and we rolled all of our change that we have been saving for the last year.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jun. 13, 2012 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

We keep a change jar.

momto3isme
by Dawn on Jun. 13, 2012 at 8:59 AM
We have a change jar and set aside money when we can .
Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 9:36 AM

We budget in the cost of a summer vacation.

mallowcup17
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 10:12 AM

good tips! we do the set asides and definitley plan ahead. we also have several change jars

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

This is what we are doing this summer..not spending!  We do things nearby, play in the water, walks etc.

KaylaMillar
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 10:26 AM
We have a change jar that everyones spare change goes in. When it's dull we cash it in
amy7243
by Amy on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I try to set aside a little every week for a rainy day :)

MamaMandee
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Good tips! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)