Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Ask the Expert: Budgeting Throughout the School Year | Get your questions answered by Chase Blueprint!

Posted by   + Show Post

We're very sorry but our expert is not able to answer your questions at this time. Please check out these great posts from our mom, HeatherNYC, to see what she says about budgeting for the school year:

Help Your PTA Save Money

Rethink School Lunch

Get Organized

More budgeting tips from HeatherNYC >>

CafeMom is excited to welcome back Chase Blueprint to the group to answer questions about staying on the straight and narrow through the school year.

With school already in full swing, have you set a budget on school year expenses like lunches, clothes or even class trips? Are you trying to figure out how to save for a family vacation during spring break? It's never too early or too late to budget. Chase Blueprint is here to help you get started or keep you on track for the school year!

You might have questions like:

• How do I talk to my kids about budgeting this school year?
  • How much should I put in an emergency fund for something we're not expecting?
  • Should I set a budget now for all the things coming up this year?
  • How do we afford the sports gear all the kids will need?

Chase Blueprint will answer questions like these in an effort to help you better manage your family's finances throughout the school year.

Post your questions below! We will be posting responses to some of your questions in October!

by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Replies (21-30):
saraface5383
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 4:35 PM
How can you teach your children the value of money?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dusky_rose
by Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 5:40 PM

My youngest son just started Kindergarten (half day). How do I budget for school expenses that are unknown to me? I'm thinking field trips, extra school supplies and other things that will come up. How do I know how much money I should set aside for this?

Sue ~ Head Admin
~ D.V. Survivor/Admin

elasmimi
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Our school clothes and supplies are not a problem. We buy used uniforms, stock up on socks and shorts during sales, and pay a flat supply fee at the beginning of the year. Our problem now is that since my husband retired, we get paid monthly, and I'm not sure how it's going to work. Any suggestions to ensure she will have lunch money by the end of the month?

KristinRox
by Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 8:09 PM

How much money should I put away for house repairs? 

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Sep. 5, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Should back to school shopping be done in one trip or spread out throughout the year?

Bob192
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:17 PM

We have 5 children, 2 are already in school.  How can we be prepared as each child starts school to have enough for all of our children to get what they need?

Bob192
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:20 PM

What process do you suggest for starting kids' first savings accounts (that they have some control over)?

mrswillie
by Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 6:38 AM

Quoting daerca574:

my only question is how do you prepare your high schooler to manage their own finances once they graduate?

I would love ideas on this. We start by making them buy thier onwn car, pay insurance and afford their own gas. They also pay for their cell. We start them on a checking account as soon as they get their first job. The account requires 2 signatures on all checks and withdraws.

Join us in Family Vacations & Getaways!

natesmom1228
by Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 1:16 PM

I don't give my child an allowance, do you think this is good or bad?

natesmom1228
by Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Quoting KristinRox:

How much money should I put away for house repairs? 

I would love to know the answer to this also.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN