Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Ask the Expert: Budgeting Throughout the School Year | Get your questions answered by Chase Blueprint!

Posted by   + Show Post

We're very sorry but our expert is not able to answer your questions at this time. Please check out these great posts from our mom, HeatherNYC, to see what she says about budgeting for the school year:

Help Your PTA Save Money

Rethink School Lunch

Get Organized

More budgeting tips from HeatherNYC >>

CafeMom is excited to welcome back Chase Blueprint to the group to answer questions about staying on the straight and narrow through the school year.

With school already in full swing, have you set a budget on school year expenses like lunches, clothes or even class trips? Are you trying to figure out how to save for a family vacation during spring break? It's never too early or too late to budget. Chase Blueprint is here to help you get started or keep you on track for the school year!

You might have questions like:

• How do I talk to my kids about budgeting this school year?
  • How much should I put in an emergency fund for something we're not expecting?
  • Should I set a budget now for all the things coming up this year?
  • How do we afford the sports gear all the kids will need?

Chase Blueprint will answer questions like these in an effort to help you better manage your family's finances throughout the school year.

Post your questions below! We will be posting responses to some of your questions in October!

by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Replies (31-40):
itsblissmas
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Exactly! I was just talking about this the other day. When I was a kid we were taught to do our own work so I had to go door to door. I got rewards for being top seller a few times. However, the times have changed not to mention I do not live where I used to; I live near a big city. I also know I dread when the kids come knocking on my door so why would I sent my own kid to do it. LOL! I've seriously considered buying the stuff from my own kid when the time comes.

Quoting Bmat:

What about those fund raiser sales. I don't like my child going door to door selling things, should I just buy a case of the items and say that's it?

LOswald0314
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Great questions ladies, can't wait to see some answers.

natesmom1228
by Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Quoting Bmat:

What about those fund raiser sales. I don't like my child going door to door selling things, should I just buy a case of the items and say that's it?

My son has never gone door to door. We don't have a requirement as far as how much we have to sell, so I just sell to family and friends. My mother also works for a utility company and she takes the forms to work.

countrygirlkat
by Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Our school recently went to an account system where each kid has a school lunch account.  You can pay in whatever amount of money you want to it and each day when they buy lunch they give their student number and it is taken from their account.  You can check your balance online to see if you need to add more and they will also let you know when you are getting low.  It is great because you don't have a bunch of elementary school kids having to try not to loose money each day. 

Quoting elasmimi:

Our school clothes and supplies are not a problem. We buy used uniforms, stock up on socks and shorts during sales, and pay a flat supply fee at the beginning of the year. Our problem now is that since my husband retired, we get paid monthly, and I'm not sure how it's going to work. Any suggestions to ensure she will have lunch money by the end of the month?

copperswifey
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 2:59 PM

We always put all my kids money they get for the holidays into their savings account. Should we be putting the money into cd's or is there something else that might be a good investment? :)

copperswifey
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Is there an average amount that you should save for clothes, supplies and sports? :)

amonkeymom
by Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Right now my biggest issue is teaching my daughter to budget her lunch money/allowance so that she will be able to buy lunch each day and still have money left over for things she wants to do, like go to concerts.

dusky_rose
by Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 5:58 PM

At what age should one start a savings account for their child so they can learn about saving money? The other day my DH half joking said that we should start a savings account for our five year old son and put the change from his piggy bank in it. His idea was then we wouldn't have to take it to the change machine if we just brought in the money, but that is what triggered the question in my mind.

Sue ~ Head Admin
~ D.V. Survivor/Admin

Wish2Be
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 7:04 PM
My parents told me to pick something expensive I wanted. I did. Then they told me to get a job and they would pay for half the car I wanted. I got a job on my 15th birthday.
Quoting daerca574:

my only question is how do you prepare your high schooler to manage their own finances once they graduate?

CafeMom Tickers
alliesmom112
by Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 9:55 PM

This is dd's first year in school, how do we budget for all the things coming up like fall pictures, field trips, book fairs, and etc? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN