Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Ask the Expert: Budgeting Throughout the School Year | Get your questions answered by Chase Blueprint!

Posted by   + Show Post

We're very sorry but our expert is not able to answer your questions at this time. Please check out these great posts from our mom, HeatherNYC, to see what she says about budgeting for the school year:

Help Your PTA Save Money

Rethink School Lunch

Get Organized

More budgeting tips from HeatherNYC >>

CafeMom is excited to welcome back Chase Blueprint to the group to answer questions about staying on the straight and narrow through the school year.

With school already in full swing, have you set a budget on school year expenses like lunches, clothes or even class trips? Are you trying to figure out how to save for a family vacation during spring break? It's never too early or too late to budget. Chase Blueprint is here to help you get started or keep you on track for the school year!

You might have questions like:

• How do I talk to my kids about budgeting this school year?
  • How much should I put in an emergency fund for something we're not expecting?
  • Should I set a budget now for all the things coming up this year?
  • How do we afford the sports gear all the kids will need?

Chase Blueprint will answer questions like these in an effort to help you better manage your family's finances throughout the school year.

Post your questions below! We will be posting responses to some of your questions in October!

by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Replies (51-60):
SisterPeach
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I just wish schools would learn to space things out! I have two kids in two different schools, and each one has hit me up for money five different ways from Sunday!

It's more like I have to set aside a little extra throughout the year to make up for that's swimming out of my bank account in September. Like Christmas.

btw, Chase is an awesome place to bank. And Nicole in the Fountain, CO branch is really awesome. 

STBMoM123
by New Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:30 AM

It gets worse!!!!!!!  Wait ti they ony 14 & 10..  It is starting to get hard for even 6!

MsBlueBelle
by New Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 9:46 PM

My children got the amount of money I had budgeted for their school wardrobe and they had to get everything with that set amount.  They learned to spend money wisely and that the 'in' fad clothing item was not always the best choice.  Since we do not get seasons, they could wear most anything all year around. 

texasbluebird
by New Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Hello, My son graduated a couple of years ago and this worked for me. When he was in 10th grade I opened up a joint checking acct  with his name on it. Then I deposited a set amount of money every month. I told him that I was not going to spend anymore money on him at all. He would have to buy his clothes, school lunch, school stuff, trips to the mall, everything.  At first he went crazy buying his friends stuff, but after a few weeks he started managing his money very well. Soon he started saving his money or budgeting it for special items. Now he's wonderful and very responsible. Of course I was there to help with any major or surprize items but he learned to make choices.

bard_J
by New Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:00 AM
Hi everybody , I am reza - fitness coach and Personal trainer I'm here having more friends , share our experience and advices I'm working in one of the biggest company in the world ,which produces anti aging and skincare products. NUSKIN company... I really like to introduce our fantastic products and great opportunities available to work as a distributor...no money & skill is needed(except being social!!), just spend some limited hours to earn more extra income... or even a full time job www.nuskin.com
juliemom308
by New Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 7:36 PM

My husband has to work away part of the week to earn enough for all the kids stuff. We both want more children but the costs add up

Princessofscots
by Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Look online for the kids uniforms at walmart.com. We have two kids in uniforms, and spent about that much TOTAL for them both to get set up.
Quoting tayanddyl:

my kids are in uniforms.  How can I budget for this huge expense.  I purchased 1 size 4 smock for my pre-schooler and it cost $54!!!!!!

Princessofscots
by Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Some banks and credit unions offer "youth" accounts for exactly that. One by where I used to live even gave the kids a bank to use to collect their change.
Quoting dusky_rose:

At what age should one start a savings account for their child so they can learn about saving money? The other day my DH half joking said that we should start a savings account for our five year old son and put the change from his piggy bank in it. His idea was then we wouldn't have to take it to the change machine if we just brought in the money, but that is what triggered the question in my mind.

tayanddyl
by Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I used to get the uniforms from Wal-Mart in bundles but they are now in plaid and Wal-Mart doesn't carry those :(  I tried K-Mart online also because they have French Toast, but this particular plaid isn't available

Quoting Princessofscots:

Look online for the kids uniforms at walmart.com. We have two kids in uniforms, and spent about that much TOTAL for them both to get set up.
Quoting tayanddyl:

my kids are in uniforms.  How can I budget for this huge expense.  I purchased 1 size 4 smock for my pre-schooler and it cost $54!!!!!!

Princessofscots
by Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Oh Geeez, that sucks. Grrr. Hmmm...Children's Place online?

Quoting tayanddyl:

I used to get the uniforms from Wal-Mart in bundles but they are now in plaid and Wal-Mart doesn't carry those :(  I tried K-Mart online also because they have French Toast, but this particular plaid isn't available

Quoting Princessofscots:

Quoting tayanddyl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN