Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

72 hour bag

Posted by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:09 PM
  • 26 Replies

I have a lot of LDS friends and they have told me that they are taught to have a 72 hr bag always ready. I have gave this thought and research and i think this is very necessary, do any one have tips on how to do this cost effectively? We are a family of 6.

Diana 

~ Servant to the most high, ~Wife to Mr. Wonderful ~mother of four amazing boys ~Daughter of two of the most awesome to people ~ Sister to my BFF ~ Friend of my hero ~Wonderful is my life!

"A good leader is not always understood, and a great leader know's that they don't always have to be." ~me from God
www.sorealmag.com

by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FindersKeepers
by Bronze Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM

This may be part of their religion, but it is also just smart in case of any natural disaster / emergency. 

Online, google "emergency ki"t ... and you can get a list of items that should be in there.   I found handy backpacks at Lowes.com for about ($15), but you could really use any duffle or packs that you already have.  DON'T BUY THE EXPENSIVE PREPACKED KITS.  You can put it all together yourself for less than half the cost.    Other than the packs, I bought things a little at a time over a few months to cut down the cost... most on Amazon or Lowes.com, but other things from a variety of hardware stores when they were on sale.

You should have food and water enough for 3+ days, first aid, change of clothes/shoes,jacket, hat, gloves, some toiletries, emergency items (dustmask, googles, ear plugs, flashlight, whistle, lighter, multi-tool, ect).  For my DH, DS 16 and me our packs are in our cars in case we break down... for DD 12 it is in the house with the other Emergency supplies (important docs, larger first aid, tools, solar radio, dog supplies) we keep a stock of pantry food and water.   I also always like to keep gas in the cars, but DH is bad about that.

People laugh that I am 'paranoid', but there have been power outages, wild fires, earthquakes.... near us and we have always had the supplies to deal.   If we had to evacuate quick (which has happened to some family members/friends) we could leave in a matter if minutes with everything we need. 

I am not paranoid, just prepared..... Nature happens and I would rather take the time now to have a few things ready than be in a bad spot.

sdgd21
by Bronze Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I agree as well, seems to be a great idea!  I am also called paranoid, but I don't care.  What about MRE's and high calorie bars, any tips for food and keep it low cost? can I make these bars?

Quoting FindersKeepers:

This may be part of their religion, but it is also just smart in case of any natural disaster / emergency. 

Online, google "emergency ki"t ... and you can get a list of items that should be in there.   I found handy backpacks at Lowes.com for about ($15), but you could really use any duffle or packs that you already have.  DON'T BUY THE EXPENSIVE PREPACKED KITS.  You can put it all together yourself for less than half the cost.    Other than the packs, I bought things a little at a time over a few months to cut down the cost... most on Amazon or Lowes.com, but other things from a variety of hardware stores when they were on sale.

You should have food and water enough for 3+ days, first aid, change of clothes/shoes,jacket, hat, gloves, some toiletries, emergency items (dustmask, googles, ear plugs, flashlight, whistle, lighter, multi-tool, ect).  For my DH, DS 16 and me our packs are in our cars in case we break down... for DD 12 it is in the house with the other Emergency supplies (important docs, larger first aid, tools, solar radio, dog supplies) we keep a stock of pantry food and water.   I also always like to keep gas in the cars, but DH is bad about that.

People laugh that I am 'paranoid', but there have been power outages, wild fires, earthquakes.... near us and we have always had the supplies to deal.   If we had to evacuate quick (which has happened to some family members/friends) we could leave in a matter if minutes with everything we need. 

I am not paranoid, just prepared..... Nature happens and I would rather take the time now to have a few things ready than be in a bad spot.

FindersKeepers
by Bronze Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 4:22 PM

In the end I decided against MRE or dehydrated food because if water is limited they would be difficult.   Our packs have Smart water (2 big bottles each) and water tabs.  Plus I always keep a small water in each passenger door.... and I have a couple of 1 gallon jugs for the dogs + extra.   We change those out 1 time per year. 

For food, in the e-kit we have cans.  I picked things I thought the kids would eat or that would taste okay if you couldn't heat it.   So canned chili and Chef Boyardee (we don't ever eat processed foods so I bought these specifically for the kit).... also granola bars, peanut butter and canned fruit.  In our packs we just have granola bars (Powerbars and a couple others).... 6 for me and DD packs and 8 in DH and DS packs.   The nice thing about having the packs in the cars is that we have used them for 'minor emergencys' too. 

Quoting sdgd21:

I agree as well, seems to be a great idea!  I am also called paranoid, but I don't care.  What about MRE's and high calorie bars, any tips for food and keep it low cost? can I make these bars?

Quoting FindersKeepers:

sdgd21
by Bronze Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 5:22 PM
Quoting FindersKeepers:

See I thought the same, but the down side to can is that they are hevy. I also believe the 2/3 theory (1/3 of what you have could be lost or fail) so I thought it would be best to do all 3 ( mre's cans, dried foods and granola bars). The freeze dried food I found for good price, but the mre's not yet.
sdgd21
by Bronze Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 5:26 PM
Quoting FindersKeepers:

They also have self heating MRE's so cool! Lol
ReesesPieces
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I am LDS and yeah, it's kinda part of our religion - in the sense that we are asked to not only have 72 hour kits but to have food storage as well. 

72 hour kits are pretty simple to make, and can be made with what you have on hand already.  There's no need to go fancy, because really, you're going to rotate them out often anyway.  This is how we did ours:

We bought backpacks on clearance after school started and they were trying to get rid of excess inventory at the stores.  All those backpacks that the kids have outgrown are also great for 72 hour kits.  We bought a bunch of gallon size storage bags because you never know what the conditions will be if you had to evacuate.  Here in Nashville, we never expected floods - like ever - but sure enough a couple of years ago Nashville was devistated by a massive flood.  So, waterproofing your 72 hour kits is a good idea, and those storage bags are a good idea (and relatively inexpensive).  In one bag, we put underwear, socks, and a t-shirt.  We repeat that for 3 days.  Our pants (or shorts for the Summer version) do go into those travel size space bags - they are large enough and waterproof.  In another gallon size bag we put our toiletry items - shampoo/conditioner, deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrush, and a flattened roll of TP. 

For our kids, we were able to fit an entire day's worth of clothes in one gallon size bag, which is nice.  We also put their toiletries, a flattened roll of TP, and some toys, paper and crayons in gallon bags.  In another gallon bags, they carry their snacks - fruit snacks, granola bars, small packs of freeze dried fruits, and a can of shelf-stable canned cheese.  It's about the size of a tuna can, and it's called Bega canned cheese.  It tastes like the peperidge farm cheese you'd get for christmas, but the kids enjoy it.  Even my 3 year old can carry a backpack with just those things plus 2 bottles of water.  We also threw in a sandwhich size ziplock bag with a mini first aid kit.

Also, every person's backpack has a copy of their birth certificate, social security card, ID, shot records, and other important documents inside of a ziplock bag.  That way, if (heaven forbid!!!) we were separated, they could be identified. 

When it comes to the bulk of our food, we have a military backpack for my husband.  I carry the clothes for us both (plus my own snacks just like the kids' packs) and the clothes and diapers for the 2 smaller kids.  The food we carry are things that require no prep.  We can't guarantee that we will have clean water, and using our bottled water isn't something we want to chance, so we have the canned cheese, canned tuna, spaghetti-o's (my kids like them cold - yuck!), small packages of freeze dried fruits, veggies, and even yogurt bites.  We have fruit leather, beef jerkey, granola bars, and even some candy in there too.  Anything that could be ruined when wet goes into gallon bags for safety.

We also have a small tent and a sleeping bag roll that we would grab if necessary for us to evacuate.

In our car, we also keep a change of clothes for each person, flotation devices, blankets, and food (and water).  We have diapers and wipes in there too.  Also, keep your files backed up somewhere online.  Keep disks of your family pictures in your kits or in your car. 

It's just smart to be prepared. 

We just had a Relief Society lesson on this Sunday.  We watched this video.  It is kinda about the why, the importance of being prepared, and how to help others - those of our faith and those not of our faith.  This video is from our perspective and so of course it deals with the faith of it as well, but it really hit home with me that I need to be more dilligent in our 72 hour kits and changing out the clothing and food often enough.  It really made me think and re-think about what things I would want in those kits.

Stevensmomma
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 8:25 PM

We don't have one but it is always good to be prepared

cjsmom1
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Dumb question, what's LSD?

I think you would need an emergency medical kit, which you can buy premade or put together yourself (make sure you change out items as they expire, like antibiotic cream). You can find book bags really cheap around October when stores are trying to get rid of what they couldn't sell during back to school. I would also grab things like peanut butter, nuts, energy bars (foods that would help keep you full).

cjsmom1
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 8:57 PM

That makes a lot of sense and I would have never thought of that.

Quoting ReesesPieces:

Also, every person's backpack has a copy of their birth certificate, social security card, ID, shot records, and other important documents inside of a ziplock bag.  That way, if (heaven forbid!!!) we were separated, they could be identified. 

ReesesPieces
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 9:10 PM
LDS is Latter-Day Saint (or Mormon). That's what I am. Our church teaches us to be prepared for whatever life can bring - and to be self sufficient, even to being able to take care of ourselves and others.

LSD is a psychotic drug. No worries though - tons of people get it mixed up and it's easy to when typing fast (especially with that darn autocorrect on). :)

Quoting cjsmom1:

Dumb question, what's LSD?

I think you would need an emergency medical kit, which you can buy premade or put together yourself (make sure you change out items as they expire, like antibiotic cream). You can find book bags really cheap around October when stores are trying to get rid of what they couldn't sell during back to school. I would also grab things like peanut butter, nuts, energy bars (foods that would help keep you full).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement