Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

HELP WITH HIGH ELECTRIC BILL!!!!!!!!

Posted by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:18 PM
  • 29 Replies

$474.03.  That's the shocker I got yesterday.  Double what our usual bill is.

I just don't understand.  I have an HE washer (wash clothes in cold water on speed cycle) & dryer pair (front loading) and have been hanging most of the clothes out to dry lately.  We haven't used heat or AC this past month.  Computers are set to shut off after 20 minutes of non-use.  We don't use many lights if any during the day.  TVs are all flat screen and use a LOT less power than regular TV sets.  Showers are 5 minutes or less.  I try to cook using a crockpot/electric skillet/microwave for most meals.

Does anyone have anything else I can try to cut down on electric use?

by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gamomof3cuties
by New Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM
2 moms liked this
I had that same problem for five years straight. After finally griping enough the power company admitted that "somehow" my bill was switched to a commercial account. I was paying more than double for electricity. I have not had a power bill for 6 months now and will not receive one for another 2 years
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stevensmomma
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 8:28 PM

wow and ouch ! Is it a estimated bill or actual read??? I would get LED light bulbs we have them and it costs so much less, BBQ when you can, keep binds closed to keep the house cooler so you AC doesnt kick on as much. 

cjsmom1
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 8:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I would call the electric company to have them make sure that's correct. If you're not using it more then normal maybe it was an error on their part.

ReesesPieces
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 9:15 PM
I agree - that's not normal!!!! I'd make them proove that's what I owe! It could have been a Mis-read meter or heaven only knows!

Quoting cjsmom1:

I would call the electric company to have them make sure that's correct. If you're not using it more then normal maybe it was an error on their part.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Quoting Stevensmomma:

wow and ouch ! Is it a estimated bill or actual read??? I would get LED light bulbs we have them and it costs so much less, BBQ when you can, keep binds closed to keep the house cooler so you AC doesnt kick on as much. 

Actual read.  We already have those CFL bulbs.  Don't have central air and no window AC units are put in yet.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Quoting gamomof3cuties:

I had that same problem for five years straight. After finally griping enough the power company admitted that "somehow" my bill was switched to a commercial account. I was paying more than double for electricity. I have not had a power bill for 6 months now and will not receive one for another 2 years

The bill says residential account.  

I'd LOVE to not have to pay an electric bill for 2 1/2 years!

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 11:35 PM

I checked the meter, and it was read correctly.

Quoting cjsmom1:

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jun. 8, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Oh wow I used to think my $200 bill was high.

gamomof3cuties
by New Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 11:38 PM

My bill also said residential, that's why it took so long to figure it out. They had just switched the per kilowatt charge. I hope that you do find out whats going on though.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting gamomof3cuties:

The bill says residential account.  

I'd LOVE to not have to pay an electric bill for 2 1/2 years!

ReesesPieces
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Hmmm....that is so strange. There has to be something. If you look at your meter, is it going fast? Turn stuff off and look. I'm sure you have already compared kwh usage from previous months and years. If not, look at those bills. We run 2 central air units, a fridge and large freezer, and have a regular washer and dryer and ours is only $155 this month. Something is going on. Either there's a mistake, a drain on power, or they are charging you wrong. Get them to come out and do an energy evaluation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)