Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

HELP WITH HIGH ELECTRIC BILL!!!!!!!!

$474.03.  That's the shocker I got yesterday.  Double what our usual bill is.

I just don't understand.  I have an HE washer (wash clothes in cold water on speed cycle) & dryer pair (front loading) and have been hanging most of the clothes out to dry lately.  We haven't used heat or AC this past month.  Computers are set to shut off after 20 minutes of non-use.  We don't use many lights if any during the day.  TVs are all flat screen and use a LOT less power than regular TV sets.  Showers are 5 minutes or less.  I try to cook using a crockpot/electric skillet/microwave for most meals.

Does anyone have anything else I can try to cut down on electric use?

by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:18 PM
Replies (21-29):
sdgd21
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this
My money would be the tvs. I know that they are flat, but my dad deals with electronics and he told me to watch the tvs, we have 3 flat and 2 small old school one. He said they, stand by, not shut off, so we unplug them, and shut down the pc. It has been a $100 difference!
hopealways4019
by Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:14 AM
I use energy effective bulbs, thinking about buying battery operated lights, attach to walls

I hardly use light in daytime, unplug everything, when I leave,or not using.

I use only fans
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suziejax
by Suzie on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:35 PM

wow

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Well, I figured out that last month's bill was an estimate (they didn't actually read the meter) and they probably underestimated.  I took the past 3 month's kWh use and averaged it, and it is pretty much the same as previous months.  I don't think it's fair the the electric company underestimated last month's bill then raised their rates for this month's bill, but that's the explanation for the high bill.

I've ranted and threatened the kids about turning off TVs, lights, game systems, etc....and we'll see if a month without air conditioning will convince them that I'm serious about lowering our energy use.

mommyprice09
by Ashley on Jun. 11, 2012 at 8:23 PM

holy crap

Kelly913
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Did you ever find out if something was wrong? 

JSKKP831
by Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Last year, I recieved a bill for over $600 for ONE month for just a two bedroom apartment. We knew what the problem was, our AC, but because our apartment management refuses to replace it (it is very old and not energy efficient at all) we just have to regulate our use of it. PG&E allowed us to make payments and we were able to get some money taken off our rent because we proved that the extremely high bill was due to the malfunction of the apartment's AC unit.

I see that you've stated what the problem is, and you're right that isn't fair of them to do that, are they willing to work with you in any way?   

LisaCameron
by New Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 3:22 AM

Better check on your heating or air conditioning system if you have one. Or the electrical configuration in your house they might be wrong somewhere. Anyway, there is still got the way to settle this problem. You can reduce the bill if you try to use a new technique. You might want to learn it here. It save my money thousands last year and I still using it.

Refer here : http://electricdiy.blogspot.com/

Livinwith3boys
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Un plug things you aren't using...Even things on "off" mode are still pulling electricity unless they are unplugged!!! It saved us about 45 dollars on our 200 dollar bill!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)