Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

HELP WITH HIGH ELECTRIC BILL!!!!!!!!

$474.03.  That's the shocker I got yesterday.  Double what our usual bill is.

I just don't understand.  I have an HE washer (wash clothes in cold water on speed cycle) & dryer pair (front loading) and have been hanging most of the clothes out to dry lately.  We haven't used heat or AC this past month.  Computers are set to shut off after 20 minutes of non-use.  We don't use many lights if any during the day.  TVs are all flat screen and use a LOT less power than regular TV sets.  Showers are 5 minutes or less.  I try to cook using a crockpot/electric skillet/microwave for most meals.

Does anyone have anything else I can try to cut down on electric use?

by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:18 PM
Replies (11-20):
jbyrd898
by Jessica on Jun. 9, 2012 at 7:17 AM

Have you been using the air a lot?

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Quoting jbyrd898:

Not at all.  We don't even have central air.

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Jun. 9, 2012 at 7:26 AM
1 mom liked this

then I have to agree with the other ladies, it sounds like their is something wrong with your bill

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting jbyrd898:

Not at all.  We don't even have central air.

baby
momto3isme
by Dawn on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:43 AM
I would look at your previous bills to compare. I also think the bill has to be wrong since you haven't used your window ac. I would call them.
e.sugarbaby
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:59 AM
I can feel pain...although we do have central air. In our area we just have 1 utility company so they can monopolize the whole town.... We pay way too much for a small ranch style house.

I always wondered if they didn't just take an average on our street. They said they don't but during the winter when I make everyone wear sweaters etc in the house most of our neighbors are retired and crank their heat..... I dread the winter month bills too!

Let us know what you find out!
Moms_Angels1960
by Cheryl on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I would call the electric company to see if they can come out & look at your meter. I have a friend who's bill did that and they came out & found something wrong. Also maybe have them do an energy aduit. That is extremely high. I would freak if we got one of more then & this is during AC weather of $138.00

AiW
by New Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:54 AM
Before you check all the appliances, check with your kids. Someone sleeping with lights on, or some other power draining toy you didn't realize was hooked up? Someone running a connection outside the house to charge a battery or appliance you didn't see? Hosting guests who aren't as conservative with usage? Doing more laundry than usual (someone on a ball team that needs uniform washing, etc.)?
e.sugarbaby
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

had another thought... I know you mentioned that you take short showers but my friend had a high bill once and it was due to the hot water heater! 

The gauge on it would malfunction and would heat up and drain and heat up and drain.... hers was in a closet and she heard an unusual sound coming from it one day and thought nothing of it until she received her utility bill and just about fainted. She had a plumber come and sure enough it was this $5 gauge that had broken and it was an easy fix... except for the high bill.

it costs a lot of money to heat all those gallons of water.... maybe that is the problem?

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Jun. 9, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Turn all the power off from the main circuit breakers and look at the meter.. is it still running? maybe there is a problem with the wiring in your house and some cable is grounding and wasting electricity.

also go to the electic company (dont call) with your prior bills and demand to speak to a supervisor, then ask them how you have been paying certain amount and now its totally different when you have not made any change at home.

If they cant find whats going on, or if they dont help, maybe check and see other companies (if you have that option) and switch to their service.

This could be that they misread your meter or if the reading is right then it may be that you need a new meter.  It happened with my gas meter, it got high all of the sudden and I asked for someone from the company to come and check, i told them the meter was making a strange noise and it smelled like gas (not really but that made them move quick) and they changed the whole thing to a new, more economic, one and I didnt have to pay a cent.

Last think I can think of is that if that is your actual bill then ask them if they can have someone come and assess your home and check if its energy efficient, I think they give you that service for free.  Good luck.

Kelly913
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 4:46 PM

There's got to be an error somewhere!  My last bill was $200 for TWO HOUSES, 1 with the AC running, and paying to pump water for irrigation.  Was it a longer bill cycle?  Could the last bill or two have been estimated and they were low, so now it's catching up to you?  Does a neighbor have an extension cord plugged in on your property?  lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN