"Easy A" Breakfast Carrot Cake or Muffins
vegan, makes 15 muffins, 1 loaf or 1 sheet cake
3/4 cup carrot juice
1 box Carrot Muffin Mix (I used DrOetker organic)
*see box-free subs below
1 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup spelt flour (or alt. flour)
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup apple sauce
2 Tbsp virgin coconut oil (or alt. veg oil)
1 large ripe peach, diced
1 cup raw pecan, roughly chopped
1 Tbsp sugar + 1/4 cup oats
Box Sub: 3 cups of flour, 1/2 cup of sugar, 2 tsp baking powder, dash salt, 1/4 cup canned pumpkin (op'tl) - then simply use all the above ingredients as indicated. Up the spices for a bolder flavor.
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine muffin mix (or box sub ingredients shown above), juice, apple sauce, baking powder, spices, maple syrup, oil, salt and flour in a large mixing bowl. Stir well.
3. Fold in the chopped raw peaches and pecans.
4. Layer parchment paper on a thin cake baking sheet, or loaf pan. You can also make muffins. I used about a 8"x14" tray - 1 1/2" tall. Pour the batter into your cooking dish. Spread evenly. Sprinkle the oats/sugar mixture over top.
5. Bake for 11-14 minutes (for sheet cake) or until cake is browned on top and not soggy in center. Baking time will vary by what you make. A loaf will take about 30 minutes while the thin sheet cake I made took only about 12 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and allow to cool before slicing - the moist cake needs time to harden/cool a tad before serving.
*Store on counter for no more than a few days - or freeze. You can fridge as well, but I prefer the freezer for longer-term storage.