Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Have you ever worn a fake designer bag? What do you think of people who do?

Posted by   + Show Post

Carrying a Fake Designer Bag Makes You a Big, Fat Liar

Posted by Lindsay Mannering on June 11, 2012 

gucci bagYou may want to get a close look at the lining of a woman's purse before you decide to become friends. In a new book titled The Honest Truth About Dishonesty: How We Lie to Everyone -- Including Ourselves, professor and author Dan Ariely makes an interesting connection between carrying fake designer bags and lying. His research found that women and men who were OK making people believe that their Gocci bag was really a Gucci bag were more inclined to lie, cheat, and steal in all other facets of life. The crux being that if you can cheat the real designers out of money, and fool yourself and others into thinking you can afford something you can't, then your moral compass is likely compromised in more areas than just that one.

Who knew that a fake bag could say so much about a person? I'll admit I've carried a black market purse or two in my day. I was in college when I got a fake Dior bag. I suppose the reason I carried it was a combination of wanting to look cool, wanting to look stylish, and wanting to let people know that I had an appreciation for style and luxury, even though I couldn't afford it. I mean, when your only source of income is a babysitting gig and all your disposable income goes to warm cans of Miller Lite, a Dior bag is solidly out of the question.

I get that carrying that bag made me a liar, but I think the main motivation wasn't to deceive people and make them think I was wealthier than I was, I think I wanted the bag to display, albeit illegally, that I was into fashion. And it wasn't the (fake) Dior label that tickled my fancy, it was the design, the shape, the color, the hardware, the size, the way it fell, the way it felt, and the way it made me feel that got me going. I used the purse to show off my self-proclaimed eye for style, not to pretend I was rich.

Maybe I'm starting to sound even more guilty by justifying my reasons for carrying a contraband bag of lies. That's not good.

Point is, if you're a cold hard facts kinda lady, you might want to stay away from fake-bag-wearing women. Basically they're (we're?) all liar, liar pants on fire. Just, you know, maybe cut a girl a break if it was an experimental phase in college, K?

Have you ever worn a fake designer bag? What do you think of people who do?

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:03 PM
Replies (11-16):
cjsmom1
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:30 AM
I have never had a fake bag but if I saw one I liked I'd buy it. I would also tell people it was fake if they asked. I don't care about name brands.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kelly913
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:38 AM

In my world, $60 is reasonable.  I think in the knock off market, even then the prices for the fakes are higher than that. 

Quoting cjsmom1:

I agree but to a certain extent. I have a bag that costs around $60 (not super expensive but not cheap) and it's the best bag I have ever owned. After 3 years and lots of abuse it's finally showing wear.

Quoting Kelly913:

Never have.  I think it's silly to spend that much money on a purse because someone's name is on it.  The only thing I ever thought about people who buy either is that they have too much fashion sense and not enough financial sense.

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

michelles
by Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:35 AM

I have a Coach knockoff and everytime someone compliments me I always tell them it is a knockoff! I also have several Coach purses...all found in a paper dumpster at hubby's work! Either way, I have always been honest about where it comes from! With all the problems these days, I am not too worried about someone saving money on a knockoff to make themselves feel better!

momto3isme
by Dawn on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:56 AM
I buy what I like. I don't spend a lot of money on handbags. I don't care if someone has a real one or fake one.
Stevensmomma
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:24 AM

No i haven't and I don't think any less or different of people who do use them thats their choice if they dont want to spend the high ticket price of designer bags.

la_bella_vita
by Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:39 AM

No, mine is real. It was a gift. I don't care about purses.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN