Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Three Best Tips For Traveling on A Budget

Posted by   + Show Post

We can talk about packing snacks and watching fees, which is all great to do, but there are two things to do if you really really want to stay on budget when you are travelling to another country.

First, do a ton of research. Hit web sites, read books, go to chat travel blogs, hit chatrooms, reach out to friends who have gone there to get the real scoop on the tourist must-dos and the hints on how to get tickets to museums and all of that knowledge that only people know if you have been there before. Try to think like a person who lives there, getting the insider scoop. Put the question out there on Facebook - maybe someone has a cousin who is from Finland and knows all of the great, off-the-beaten path places to see and dine, which will all be less expensive than those in every guide book.

Second, plan it out. Get the best price for the hotel that makes the most sense. Make a detailed plan of what to do each day (maybe with a few interchangeable ideas in case of rain or something) while you are there to maximize your time, because, as we have mentioned on this hub again and again, time is money.

Third, be willing to let all of that research and plans go and enjoy. Once you are there, see what happens. You have done the research, you know what to really avoid, so if a museum docent suggests you hit a certain small gallery or pottery store with an old master potter or if the little old lady that you bought a scarf from points out a little hole in the wall restaurant that her nephew runs, listen to them. If you are constantly stuck to your list and itinerary, you will miss some great opportunities to do some cool, probably not too expensive once in a lifetime experience.

What was your best vacation -- and why?

ŠiStockphoto.com/zudy-box

by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
KaylaMillar
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:01 PM
I enjoy it when dhs side of the family goes to gatlinburg to every year for Christmas. We have a blast every time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yvonne37
by Yvonne on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I have done and am doing all these tips.... we are planning an all inclusive vacation to bring our kids to disney (fl) in 2013. we want our daughter to do everything there so we are planning ahead and we want to spend around 10 days.

Our best vacation was the last time my husband and I took a vacation on our own (left the kids with my parents) and we rented a car and drove all the way down to key west, we visited all the keys and spent some adult time, went dancing, dinning, swimming...  well.. you get it :)

yvonne37
by Yvonne on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes! thats how I like to vacation.. that time that my husband and i went alone we would wake up and just take off to where ever the road would take us, we never decided or planned ahead and it was so much fun... lol..  we were stuck on empty in alligator alley and that was an adventure, my husband told me to remind him to get gas before we left to cross east to west in florida.. and i forgot! finally after running on fumes and prayers we found an old run down gas station (if it can be called that) with those old cranking type machines and we got gas... lol..

Quoting michiganmom116:

The best vacation?  When we left every morning with a general destination in mind and ended up stopping at all the little shops and stores and area attractions that we hadn't planned to see.  There's a LOT to be said for spontaneity!

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
suziejax
by Suzie on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:58 PM

My best was my first Cruise on the ship my dh was Curise Director on 

countrygirlkat
by Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:34 PM
2 moms liked this

Our best vactions I would say are camping trips because they are so laid back and nothing has to be done at a certain time.  They are also cheap!

mommythree0508
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:54 PM
Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

We have not really been on a family vacation yet.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:11 PM

If you are going to a tourist area, look for the booklets that the businesses there put out to advertise, often there are coupons.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:12 PM

My best vacation was a trip to Disney where I had done all that you suggested- studied, planned, found deals.

dusky_rose
by Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:12 PM

We haven't been out of the country, but those are some great tips for going on any vacation. We are planning on going camping this weekend.

.Angelica.
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:20 PM

i haven't really been on vacation but would like to go sometime soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement