cutting money
We all feel the pinch in different ways, don't we? Whether it's at the gas pump when prices are jumping or whether it's the reality that our houses didn't turn out to be the investments we hoped they would be.

When Obama said, "The private sector is doing fine," I thought of a   very bright cousin's bleak job prospects in a market with few job openings and a glut of educated graduates. That cousin is going to spend one more year at Wake, an extra year, taking classes to increase his chances of getting a job. And yes, he already has a college degree.

I know I am trying to stay out of a favorite gourmet market and hit the Shop and Save instead. For me, the biggest reality check is that buying an old home and fixing it up isn't going to result in the payoff it looked like it might just a few years ago. Having said all of this, I want to make sure it doesn't sound like I personally am complaining. At the end of the day, I still feel quite fortunate.

But when you have more than half of Americans polled saying the attacks on Mitt Romney and Bain were unfair, it feels like most of us are trending toward a private sector fix. Because it is a little upside down when you talk about borrowing money to create public sector jobs while saddling businesses with 46 billion dollars in regulations and the rest of us with 15 trillion dollars in debt.

How has the economy affected you?