Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Article - 5 Job Sectors With the Most Layoffs

from http://finance.yahoo.com/news/5-jobs-with-the-most-layoffs.html

the following is excerpted from the article:

Here are the five industries that account for most claims, according to the most recent data.

Construction
13.6% of all unemployment benefit recipients

Since last year, new home sales have treaded near 51-year lows. Construction shows some signs of life, but housing starts are about a third of where they should be in a healthy housing market, according to the National Association of Home Builders. Employment remains choppy: The number of payroll jobs in construction rose slightly during the first two months of the year, but has been dropping since then, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Administration and support
12.2% of all unemployment benefit recipients

Prior to the recession, when executives were promoted to management-level positions they also received their own administrative assistant or secretary. That came to an end around 2009, says Susan Fenner, manager of education at the International Association of Administrative Professionals. Since then, administrative assistants have been working for multiple executives and in some cases entire departments, she says. The industry has also been prone to layoffs: Roughly 46% of administrative professionals said the number of people in their profession at their company declined in the past three years, according to a 2011 survey (the most recent) by the IAAP. Only 14% said it increased.

Manufacturing
9.7% of all unemployment benefit recipients

In April, manufacturing accounted for 19% of mass layoffs, with the most extensive layoffs in food and transportation equipment. Experts say the food sector is impacted by high turnover while transportation equipment manufacturing jobs tend to be cyclical. And despite increases in car sales, hiring remains way off pre-recession levels, says Alec Gutierrez, senior market analyst at Automotive Insights. “You’ll see a few hundred workers hired here or there but it doesn’t look as though an influx in hiring will happen anytime soon,” he says.

Retail trade
8.6% of all unemployment benefit recipients

Despite a rise in consumer spending, this year major retail chains like Abercrombie & Fitch, Best Buy and Sears, announced plans to shut down more stores. Store closures lead to layoffs, and that leads to a spike in claims, says Baker. Since the recession retailers have sought ways to hire fewer salespeople while maintaining satisfactory customer service, says Brian Sozzi, a retail analyst. One strategy: hiring part timers to be on the sales floors during hours when customer traffic peaks, he says.

Healthcare and social assistance
8.2% of all unemployment benefit recipients

Healthcare would seem to be more recession proof than some of the other industries cited here, but the sector accounts for a growing percentage of total unemployment.

Are you or your DH/SO employed in any of these areas?  Have you experienced or seen evidence of these continuing layoffs?

by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 6:20 PM
Replies (11-20):
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Quoting Stevensmomma:

Its sad but dh went through a rough past three year with possible layoffs and pay increase freezes etc

What does he do?  Is he working in one of these job sectors?

ReesesPieces
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:20 AM
We aren't in any of these. Hubby is a COMSEC certified Information Systems Security manager. Not sure what all that means in the computer world, but his career is in demand with all the lovely hacking and crazy stuff going on these days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momto3isme
by Dawn on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:22 AM
Dh was in healthcare and I was in administration /healthcare.
celestegood
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Yeah, I kept telling a friend of mine that the healthcare industry has been having increasingly higher amounts of layoffs, but she didn't believe me.

My husband is a it support person for HP.  He has seen the effects of the recession hit the company hard.  Thankfully he's still gainfully employed by the company.

Stevensmomma
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Stevensmomma:

Its sad but dh went through a rough past three year with possible layoffs and pay increase freezes etc

He is law enforcement

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Quoting Stevensmomma:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Stevensmomma:

He is law enforcement

That is sad.  Law enforcement and other community services that protect us should be the last thing to be cut.

Stevensmomma
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Stevensmomma:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Stevensmomma:

He is law enforcement

That is sad.  Law enforcement and other community services that protect us should be the last thing to be cut.

It is and they were one of the first ones in oour town to get cut and go through all of this it has made life very hard for all of us

aidansmommy219
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 7:46 PM
I work in health care. It took me over a year to get a job. I kept hearing, you need experience to get a job. But you need a job to get experience. Ridiculous. I finally got hired in where I completed my externship.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anniebel22
by Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 1:28 AM
Manufacturing is my customer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moms_Angels1960
by Cheryl on Jun. 18, 2012 at 6:45 AM

My dh works in manufacturing and over the last 12 yrs he has worked there he him self didn't get laid off but he has seen plenty of times the lay offs. It is scary. The last couple weeks have been really hard not knowing if they were going to have a lay off or not.

As far as my job there have been major cut backs in the schools and not rehiring positions. So far my department has not really been effected too much although if you get hired now there are no benefits, no sick or holiday pay. I always wonder since I have been there for 20 yrs if maybe one day they will tell me I don't have a job since I get sick & holiday pay and I am at the top of the pay scale.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN