Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

It's Father's Day; what are some of the financial lessons you've learned from your father?

by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 8:50 AM
Replies (31-40):
grnsmomma
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 7:18 PM

I didn't learn any good lessons from him.  Something I will never forget is my mom bought me and my 2 siblings cheap little Easter baskets one year and he got so mad and grabbed her arm forcefully as he yelled at her.  Yeah...that was my childhood.  I tend to spoil my son with little things because I never had that luxury.  I will be sure to teach my son responsibility and the worth of things.

Redwall
by New Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Absolutely!  And he taught me how to read the stock market page of the newspaper as well.  However, my husband taught me how to budget and that's been the best thing for our family.  We do use credit cards, but pay them off every month (I use a Coldwater Creek card and get credit for the money I charge - I have a really nice wardrobe!)

My dad worked two jobs until we were in highschool.  My husband currently works 3.

CaneJ79
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 8:05 PM
One know thought me anything, and i think now is the time I could have use some of those teaching...The good thing is am not in debt, but my problem is I really don't know how to save money.
ambermario4ever
by Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 8:45 PM

none. but i am sure he would have taught me a lot cause he owned his own business but he died when i was only one.

reche1978
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 8:52 PM

nothing my father never taught me about money, but i've always been about saving its my personality.  Both my parents worked very hard and we grew up middle class low middle class so i would see how hard it was for my parents to earn money.  They did always tech us to value what we had

JennPearce
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 9:01 PM
Don't go crazy & quit a good job because you might be unemployed for a few years & blow through your savings.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tinysmom160
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Well my parents did not have much and whtever they had they always helped others.

Lebeaglemom
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 9:09 PM

-Put money away for retirement

-Keep a 401k

-Don't buy stupid stuff

Mom2Boys9501
by Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 9:15 PM

I learned about money from my mom. The only thing I learned from my dad is how to control what comes in so I don't freak out about it.

ShandellsBaby
by Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 9:34 PM

my parents didnt teach me anything about money. my husband is the one who taught me how to budget money and everything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)