Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Choose This, Not That To Save Summer $$

Posted by   + Show Post

I love those "Choose This, Not That" books about eating healthy foods. It is so easy when someone lays it out for you what is better to do than something else. Granted you still have to actually do it, but it helps with the decision making process at least.

There are some helpful books that offer similar ideas for saving money and we've talked about them a lot here, but when it comes to summer time fun, when the kids are out of school and the weather is gor-ge-ous, well, there are some great ways to save some summer cash by doing one thing versus another...and these actually work year-round. 

-- Buy refurbished versus new. If you are looking for a new computer or iPad or iPhone, check out the refurbished ones. You can save hundreds of dollars, still get the warranty and even the pros say they are just as good as new ones.

-- Hit the museum instead of the movies. Movies can cost a lot of money for a family of four, when you add in the drinks and popcorn. Head to a museum and see some amazing art of another kind for much less.

-- Got to the library rather than order books online. Believe me, I love my Amazon and Barnes and Noble, but heading to the library and checking out books is a huge way to save money. Also, you never know what free literary event they may have going on that you and the kids can take part in.

-- Walk instead of drive. Walk into town for a pizza dinner out instead of drive and save that gas money. This time of year, there are more hours that are sunny and it is nice enough with the weather...perfect opportunity to stroll

-- Workout at home instead of going to the gym. Put your gym membership on hold and jog outside or hit the community pool. It can save you anywhere from  $40-$100 a month depending on where you live. 

What is your best choices you make to save money? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/eyeidea

by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
elasmimi
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 7:58 AM

I also sell outgrown clothes and unused  items at consignment.

momto3isme
by Dawn on Jun. 26, 2012 at 9:17 AM
We go fishing and eat what we catch. We pack our own food, snacks, and drinks when we go somewhere. We aren't going on an expensive vacation.
lalasmama2007
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 9:50 AM
We rent all of our books, blu-rays, Wii and DS games from the library for free. I also get tons of free books on my iPad as well.
Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 9:50 AM

All of these!!

ceciliam
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Museums can be expensive. We always spend a good amount when we go.

Quoting michiganmom116:

I don't know about the museums tip.  The last time we went to a museum, it cost $20 per person...$80 for a family of four....and I know that I can easily take 4 people to the movies for less than $80.

ceciliam
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:12 AM

LOL! Yeah, I live in a suburban/rural area, where walking anywhere is not an option but there are many people, who live walking distance to lots of things, which would make it a good option for them:)

Quoting michiganmom116:

Walk instead of drive....yeah, like I'm going to walk my family 3.5 miles into town along the highway.  Just not gonna happen.

ceciliam
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:14 AM

My son and I are Barnes & Noble junkies! We are building quite an impressive library. However, if we had a local library, we would probably visit often.

dusky_rose
by Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Great tips! We have a Wii, so I try to work out at home. Can't afford a gym membership anyhow. There are those $1 summer movies and one can sneak in snacks in their purse (even water if the purse is big enough) and just buy one big popcorn to share. I like to check out the parks and recreation guide to see what free events are in our area. Sometimes there are free concerts in certain parks and one park offers movies after dark.

Stevensmomma
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:41 AM
We have done all these and the savings really add up!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Cut out eating out so much.  Quit buying things that aren't necessities.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)