Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

It is so easy to spend money, isn't it? From little treats at the ice cream truck to big splurges like a new TV, it is really easy to just pop open that wallet. Same goes for things to do with the kids. Of course, you can head to the movies or go shopping at the mall, but there are a ton of free things to do that give us that same thrill as buying something.

Here's my list of awesome things I can do by myself or with the kiddo that doesn't cost anything. 

-- Make ice cream sandwiches. Grab that bag of cookies form the cupboard and that pint of vanilla in the freezer and make your own ice cream sandwiches on a hot afternoon.

-- Check out an interesting event in your town. Contact the library or the chamber of commerce or the museum and see what new things may be happening.

-- Read outside. Take your favorite books and a blanket. Head outside to the backyard or the park and have an outdoor reading fest.

-- Write a letter. Think about it....when was the last time you wrote a letter, not an email or a text? Pick up that pen and write a letter. Have your kids do the same. It may start a fun tradition.

-- Stargaze. Look online or check out some books from the library on stars. Read with your kids as to what they may see in the night sky. Pop some popcorn and go outside at night and see what is up there. Look for shooting stars to make a wish.

What are things you love to do that don't cost money? 

©iStockphoto.com/hanibarem

by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
2bigbadbooyz
by New Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 7:48 PM
Going to splashpads, going for an adventure walk & discuss what we see...
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jul. 18, 2012 at 9:22 PM
These are great!
Jkia1boy
by Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 12:39 AM

My son and I go to the apartment complex pool, or to the city park which has sprinklers, but it cost $2.00 which isn't bad.

aidansmommy219
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:50 PM
I love hand written letters. I used to have a friend from 4th grade as my pen pal. She asked if we could switch to email and we don't talk too often anymore. Makes me sad really.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tashraq87
by Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 3:18 PM

We stargaze alot....we live about 3 hours from Chicago, and out here in the open country, you can see the glow of Chicago- IT'S THAT BRIGHT`

kerryket
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Beach it!

deedee3849
by Deanne on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Hiking, trips to the beach, exploring, bug chasing, scavenger hunts for nature items

amandap33
by New Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 5:59 PM

have a bonfire and cook hotdogs and marshmellows.  It's calming keeps you warm and get to spend quality time together!

Anniebel22
by Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 6:14 PM
We star gazed last night. DS said "bye little moon" when we went inside.

It's not free, but we paid $35 for a zoo pass and we pack a lunch and bike there often.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3mom627
by Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Go to the library. My favorite place and it's FREE

3MOM627

have a nice day

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)