Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Fun on A Budget Challenge #4

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 53 Replies
2 moms liked this

I'm always looking for ways to find some extra cash - whether by saving or cutting back or getting a great deal - I love the thrill of that extra $20 or $40 I can use for something else (or stick in the family piggy bank). One great way to find some extra moolah is to hold a garage sale. We all have stuff we don't use in the attic or piling up in the basement. For Fun on a Budget Challenge #4, we have some great hints on how to hold your garage sale to get the most money for your summer fun (or savings). 

-- Team up. The best garage sales have a lot to offer shoppers coming by. Call your neighbors, your friends, your sister-in-law. Gather everyone's best stuff - mark each one with a certain tag color so when checking out, you know whose stuff was sold.

-- Organize. Start a few weeks in advance, gather the items, get them into categories, makes signs for each table. People will stop for sales that look orderly and together versus piles of random junk. Also, don't forget about rules of the sale as well as one central area where people pay for everything.

-- Get help. Have enough help for the day of the garage sale. Enlist Grandma to watch the kids, so both you and your husband can be there. Call other friends and offer to feed them lunch if they pitch in.

-- Pick a good day. Sure, you can't control the weather, but check around to make sure there isn't other huge conflicts going on, like town, school or church events.

-- Know what happens after. Arrange for pickup of the items from a charity or have your buddy with the big minivan come by to help you transport what doesn't sell to your church or local shelter.

Share your best tips to hold a fabulous garage sale!

ŠiStockphoto.com/nazdravie

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yvonne37
by Yvonne on Jun. 28, 2012 at 1:45 AM
1 mom liked this

these are all very good tips.  All I can add is HAVE FUN!!  you need to get up that morning with a smile on your face and see doing this as an adventure, as an opportunity to meet new people and remember your goal which is make some extra cash and declutter! :)

michiganmom116
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:07 AM
1 mom liked this

ADVERTISE!!!!!!!!  Post flyers, put up a lot of signs, use balloons to catch people's attention!

We'll be having one with my parents and my DS/DIL in a couple of weeks.

michiganmom116
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:12 AM
2 moms liked this

Make sure you have extra cash on hand so you can make change!

michiganmom116
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:13 AM
1 mom liked this

People WILL arrive early.  Be ready.

michiganmom116
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:14 AM

If you want to catch the working people, plan to be open before 8 and after 6.  Many sales around here start Thursday evenings from 4 to 8 p.m., then full days on Friday and Saturday.

michiganmom116
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:15 AM

While you've got people roaming around your sale, you or someone else had better be keeping an eye on things.  We've actually had items stolen from our sales.

momto3isme
by Dawn on Jun. 28, 2012 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I set out a box of free items small toys to keep the kids busy while the parents are looking and its items I wouldn't charge for.
momto3isme
by Dawn on Jun. 28, 2012 at 8:06 AM
The kids also sell lemonade and bottles of water.
momto3isme
by Dawn on Jun. 28, 2012 at 8:07 AM
Arrange clothing by sizes.
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jun. 28, 2012 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I am having my 1st Yard sale this weekend!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)