Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Fun on A Budget Challenge #4

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm always looking for ways to find some extra cash - whether by saving or cutting back or getting a great deal - I love the thrill of that extra $20 or $40 I can use for something else (or stick in the family piggy bank). One great way to find some extra moolah is to hold a garage sale. We all have stuff we don't use in the attic or piling up in the basement. For Fun on a Budget Challenge #4, we have some great hints on how to hold your garage sale to get the most money for your summer fun (or savings). 

-- Team up. The best garage sales have a lot to offer shoppers coming by. Call your neighbors, your friends, your sister-in-law. Gather everyone's best stuff - mark each one with a certain tag color so when checking out, you know whose stuff was sold.

-- Organize. Start a few weeks in advance, gather the items, get them into categories, makes signs for each table. People will stop for sales that look orderly and together versus piles of random junk. Also, don't forget about rules of the sale as well as one central area where people pay for everything.

-- Get help. Have enough help for the day of the garage sale. Enlist Grandma to watch the kids, so both you and your husband can be there. Call other friends and offer to feed them lunch if they pitch in.

-- Pick a good day. Sure, you can't control the weather, but check around to make sure there isn't other huge conflicts going on, like town, school or church events.

-- Know what happens after. Arrange for pickup of the items from a charity or have your buddy with the big minivan come by to help you transport what doesn't sell to your church or local shelter.

Share your best tips to hold a fabulous garage sale!

©iStockphoto.com/nazdravie

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
OJP
by New Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 3:15 PM
You'll get more for your items when they're clean.
OJP
by New Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 3:29 PM
Don't forget to check with the area where the Garage sale will be - some areas require a permit.
Kelly913
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Good tips here.  I don't have any to shrae because I really don't like hosting them... 

luzngkntrl
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

I am having my 1st Yard sale this weekend!

Hi,

I have no idea how to price stuff for a garage sale. I see that you're having your first sale too. Could you please share how you priced your things to sell? A detailed price list with help me out tremendously. Thanks!

MB13
by New Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I only price stuff in 25 cent increments (25, 50, 75, or dollars)  so the only coins I need for change are quarters.

Quoting KristinRox:

This is also a big one. I made the mistake of only having a couple quarters and dimes on hand.. didnt work out. Once people started paying with twoonies and loonies.. it started to work out, but up until that point it was dicey. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

Make sure you have extra cash on hand so you can make change!

Autre21
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:06 AM

be willing to negociate with people on your prices. Sometimes it's better to take a lower $$ offer since the point is to get rid of it.

Darkangelpunk
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 3:28 AM

bump for ideas

aidansmommy219
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 10:38 AM
This is really important. Im much more likely to go to a sale that has colorful, easy to read signs than a sale with scribbled messy signs.

Quoting michiganmom116:

ADVERTISE!!!!!!!!  Post flyers, put up a lot of signs, use balloons to catch people's attention!

We'll be having one with my parents and my DS/DIL in a couple of weeks.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I have no tipes it's been almost 9 years since I had 1.

RealHouswifofOK
by New Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 8:06 AM
Some of these are repeats, and I've seen some great tips... here are mine.
1. Plan to hold the sale around payday for the largest companies/factories/employers in town, so ppl have $$$ burning in their pocket. Avoid most holidays, football/b-ball game days, any big days in your town.
2-Advertise, advertise: some local newspapers (or radio stations announce them) have lists of that weeks garage sales (some even mark them on a map!), and charge a flat, low fee to be included. Check your local Penny Saver type papers, and college newspapers. If you run an ad, highlight stuff that sells: baby clothing and goods, furniture, appliances antiques/collectibles. Make BIG signs, written cleanly in large dark marker, with a short, easy to read msg. Maybe make little arrows from the entrance of your neighborhood, leading to your house.
3- Have enough paper money change, and coins..keep a lockbox or a money apron on you. Try to have some tissue or newspaper to wrap glass things, grocery bags and boxes for customers to carry stuff out.
4. Be uber-organized....price everything clearly, wipe all your things down, make sure they smell fresh, wind up cords, wash +fold linens, hang what you can, box whatever you still have boxes for, and include all user manuals you have. Everybody likes stuff that looks almost new and clean. Group similiar things together, don't overfill tables or just throw stuff out in bins. Put really nice big things like furniture, large kid's toys, big stereo's or tv's, out in front to draw people in...but keep small valuables (jewelry, cell phones, video games) together, either at the table you're selling from, or close to it, to avoid sticky fingers.
5. Post signs to let ppl know that you welcome bargaining (but don't let anyone take advantage of you, or bully you into practically giving them something, if you're uncomfortable) and that you'll give discounts if they buy more than one thing. If there are things you won't go down on-mark it on the tag..’$25-FIRM’. If having a one day sale, about 2-3 hours before the end, take everything to 1/2 off or more, for multiple day sales, do it the last 1/2 of (or thevwhole) last day. Make sure to try to mention in ads, for sure post on your signs and tell ppl when they leave.
6. On your signs in the sale, make it clearly known, 'Sorry, NO Public Bathrooms' so you don't have to awkwardly refuse someone, or let random strangers into your house, don't do that! Also, don't feel bullied into letting 'early-birds' in...they'll try to swoop in the second you bring your 1st box out. I always feel awkward putting stuff out, just getting ready when strangers are pawing through things still in Plastic tubs! I've even heard of dealers trying to 'preview' the night before, just showing up at your house! Heck no! Don't feel bad about not doing anything you feel weird about, or refusing a price, whatever...it's your stuff, your house.
Lastly, make sure your keep all walking areas clear of debris, goods, stuff...mark any dips or concrete 'holes', surprise stairs or drops clearly....keep break-ables, dangerous tools and such up and away from where unsupervised kid's can get to them. Wipe up any spills , sweep off any loose gravel on your driveway-ppl can slip... Keep a small first aid kit, fire extinguisher, cell phone...just be aware, if anyone gets hurt on your property, regardless of what they were doing...you are liable-so you might also want to review coverage on your home insurance.
Sorry for being so long, good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement