Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

DIY-Repurposed wipes container

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 6:47 AM
  • 7 Replies

Your first step is to use up the wipes in a container (that’s easy enough with a baby in the house).  Huggies makes some super cute containers and the little door is easy for babies to open.  It also has a nice rubber opening so little hands can slide in and out without getting hurt.

Collect pieces of fabric from around the house.  This can be as easy or elaborate as you would like.  I use scraps of what fabric I have and applique numbers, letters, and shapes onto the fabric.  You can see how to applique fabric here.  If you are playing with your baby you can work on number, letter, and shape recognition.  I also like to use different textures, patterns, and colors to make baby excited to see and feel what is coming next

If you don’t have fabric laying around just cut up pieces of old t-shirts or towels.  You can hem all the edges or just leave them raw, it’s up to you.  If you use fabrics like jersey the edges won’t fray.  I cut the pieces about the size of a DVD case.  Usually about 20 squares is the perfect amount to fit in the container without it getting to hard to pull the pieces out.

Now that my kids are older they still enjoy this toy.  Now we add in their favorite little toys and it is fun for them to search for them.  Remember not to do this until you kiddo is old enough to not put things in their mouths.  Using fabric with their favorite characters is fun too.  I tell them to find “Dora” for instance and they see how fast they can pull out the fabric pieces to find her.  Hunting for their friends is fun for them.

These are great to make for your own kids and have been kid tested and TOTALLY mother approved in our house!  I would  recommend this as a gift to make and give to expecting moms or as first birthday gifts.  Like I said, of all the toys in our home, this is one of the least expensive but most loved and enjoyed.  I hope that you try this and that your kiddos love it as much as mine.

by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 6:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jbyrd898
by Jessica on Jun. 22, 2012 at 7:53 AM

ty

momto3isme
by Dawn on Jun. 22, 2012 at 9:05 AM
Tfs!
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 9:31 AM

interesting!

AzariahsMother
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 9:44 AM
Tfs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suziejax
by Suzie on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:03 PM

like it!

Stevensmomma
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 2:40 PM
Thanks for sharing I use them as a crayon box for ds
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement