Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Spill it ladies,what are your biggest tips to save money at home?

by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 7:28 AM
Replies (31-40):
SunflowerMom10
by New Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 1:33 PM
You look at what you're spending now. Track what you spend with home made products ad you'll definitely see the difference. Like instead of spending $20 on cleaning supplies spending $5 on baking soda and vinegar.

Quoting AzariahsMother:

Looks like lots of people are into makong their own products. My questions is how do you know if you are really saving?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SunflowerMom10
by New Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 1:53 PM
Get a whole chicken, boil it with herbs and bullion. Take it out and separate the breasts, set aside. Shred the rest of the meat. The breasts can be sliced into strips and used for chicken Alfredo, fried with mashed potatoes and gravy, baked with veggies, etc. Take half the shredded meat and put it aside for chicken salad, quesadillas, nachos, salads, pasta bakes, etc. put the rest back into the pot to make chicken and rice, dumplings, soup, etc.

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Cook or bake from scratch as much as possible

We eat alot of chicken and steak. I would love to learn more recipes for these things. Do you  have any from scratch recipes that you would share with me. Please.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsWhite101610
by New Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Thanks

Quoting SunflowerMom10:

Get a whole chicken, boil it with herbs and bullion. Take it out and separate the breasts, set aside. Shred the rest of the meat. The breasts can be sliced into strips and used for chicken Alfredo, fried with mashed potatoes and gravy, baked with veggies, etc. Take half the shredded meat and put it aside for chicken salad, quesadillas, nachos, salads, pasta bakes, etc. put the rest back into the pot to make chicken and rice, dumplings, soup, etc.

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Cook or bake from scratch as much as possible

We eat alot of chicken and steak. I would love to learn more recipes for these things. Do you  have any from scratch recipes that you would share with me. Please.

Stevensmomma
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 2:32 PM
Clip coupons shop sales stock up whenever possible don't buy unneeded items cook and bake from scratch consereve energy etc
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elizabooks
by Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Lots of things....

Line dry your clothes in the summer (or year round if you have space inside) I can save $70 a month doing this. ($20 start up- poles, ropes, pins and hangers for the socks)

Recycle. We take all of our metals once a month to the local scrap delear and get between 10$ & 50$. We also have to pay a fee for our trash pick up so recycling more cuts down on our trash pick up fees.

Garden and compost! We have a small garden- only 15x15 feet and grow all types of veggies to suppliment our diet. Now that we compost all kitchen scraps we are not spendinn money on topsoil. While the initial costs can be hefty, you can save a lot if you plant mass producers (like squash).

Also composting has cut down on the trash being tossed.

Join a CSA for your yearly veggies. But DO THE RESEARCH!!  We pay $400 for five months for a family of four. (we are three).  That's $20 a week for veggies that would cost us $60 in the grocery store. We also have enough to dry or freeze so that wecan have them for two months of the winter as well.

Buy quality clothes. It might seem more expensive to pay $200 for a pair of boots, but if they are high quality they will last for years. DH & I each have a pair that have lasted for 8 years now. Before this I was paying $45 every year and they wouldn't last two winters. So find the brands that are good quality and buy them. If you can find them second hand then even better!

Buy all holiday supplies at places like Ollies or Big Lots! or after the holiday when they are 40-90% off.

Shop yardsales & fleamarkets for toys and gifts BEFORE "normal" stores.

elizabooks
by Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 1:24 AM
1 mom liked this

get heavier curtains for the windows in winter. This will allow you to lower your temperture.

Drink more water. Use filtered tap water and refill the bottles. If having to drive in the summer during rush hour--do not put on the AC. Freeze a 32 oz bottle of water (3/4s full) for each person in the car. Holding it when it melts will help cool you down and you can keep hydrated.

Use natural light whenever possible. Use appliances at non-peak times if at all possible, (saves on energy in apartments).

At the end of the day put all coins from the purse and pockets into a jar. Every fortnight count the coins (NOT in those machines- they take a cut!) and either use it to pay on a bill, put in savings or buy a treat.

Unless earmarked for a bill or other expense take any bill lower than 10$ out of the wallet every night  leaving 1 of each deniomination. (so if you have 38$: 20, 5,5,5,1,1,1 take $12) and put it in another jar and hide it in your house at the end of the week.  Start a new jar every week.. HIDE THEM. This sounds stupid, but I have three in my spice cabinet, one in my deep freeze and three in my pantry behind all of the canned goods.  Out of sight-out of mind, Some jars may have only $10 in them, some $50. But if an emergency bill pops up I have some cash to throw at it.....

Buy in bulk when ever possible. Buy cuts of meat and butcher them yourself. Check the lables. A rump roast can cost up to 15 cents a pound LESS than cubed stew meat. Cut it yourself, portion it and freeze it. 

Get a rain barell for your garden....

othermom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 12:06 PM

use a clothes line

Sweetness88
by New Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 1:20 AM

When you catch a sale go for it. I always look for the on sale items. If I can't washing powder BOGO I try to buy as much as I can. You can double your savings with coupons. Even on food items. I buy waffles all the time BOGO. With coupons I end up paying $0.59 for 2 boxes of waffles. Another thing I do is get reward cards and share the card with a family member that may not have one. I have Kmart. Most of my family don't. All they have to do is use my phone number. I have went to Kmart plenty of times and didn't have to pay a dime because the point add up.

Sweetness88
by New Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Another thing I do too is buy meat after the 20th of each month. I was told by the guy in the meat department that most local grocery stores mark their meat down after the 20th because they sell less meat after people stop getting food stamps. I bought 2 pack ribeyes for $3.36, Turkey wings for $1.12, etc. For $29 I bought 10 packs of meat, cookies, bread, seasoning, and a half gallon of milk.

mommyprice09
by Ashley on Jun. 24, 2012 at 7:51 PM

diy everything u can

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement