Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

What are some foods you just have to buy premade? What are some foods you have to have homemade?

baby
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 6:25 AM
Replies (11-20):
michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Chocolate Magic Cake

• 1 3/4 c. flour
  • 2 c. sugar
  • 3/4 c. cocoa
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 c. strong black coffee
  • 1 c. soured milk (put 1 tsp. lemon juice in a 1 cup measure, add milk to equal 1 cup)
  • 1/2 c. vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add rest of ingredients and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Batter will be thin. Pour into a greased & floured 9 x 13 cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 - 40 minutes until cake tests done.

Chocolate Lover's Frosting

• 3 c. powdered sugar, divided
  • 1/2 c. cocoa
  • 1/2 c. margarine, softened
  • 5 to 6 Tbsp. milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

Mix 1 cup powdered sugar, cocoa, margarine and 2 Tablespoons milk. Beat slowly until mixed well. Add rest of powdered sugar and milk and mix well, then whip at high speed until fluffy and light.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:37 PM
  • Fluffy Banana Pancakes

• 1 cup all purpose flour
    • 3/4 c. whole wheat flour
    • 3/4 c. oat bran
    • 1/4 c. sugar
    • 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
    • 1/8 tsp. baking soda
    • 3/4 tsp. salt
    • 1 cup mashed bananas
    • 1 1/2 - 2 cups milk
    • 1 egg, beaten
    • 1 tsp. vanilla extract

Sift dry ingredients in a medium size bowl. Combine bananas, milk, egg and vanilla in a large bowl. Add dry ingredients to the banana mixture and stir until just combined. Pour onto hot greased griddle using 1/4 cupfuls. Flip when the pancakes bubble and are browned on the bottom.

• Harvest Grain & Nut Pancakes

• 3/4 c. oatmeal
      • 3/4 c. whole wheat flour
      • 1/4 c. sugar
      • 2 tsp. baking soda
      • 1 tsp. baking powder
      • 1 tsp. cinnamon
      • 1/2 tsp. salt
      • 1 1/2 c. milk
      • 1/4 c. vegetable oil
      • 1 egg
      • 3 Tbsp. finely chopped almonds
      • 3 Tbsp. finely chopped walnuts

If you choose, you can grind the oatmeal into a fine powder in a blender or food processor; I prefer to leave the oatmeal as is. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. In another bowl combine milk, oil and egg and add to dry ingredients, stir until mixed. Stir in nuts. Ladle by 1/4 cupfuls onto hot greased griddle. Flip when bottoms are browned and bubbles form in the middle.

• Peanut Butter Pancakes

• 2 cups flour
        • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
        • 1/4 tsp. salt
        • 3/4 c. peanut butter (creamy or crunchy, your choice)
        • 1/4 c. honey
        • 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
        • 2 eggs
        • 2 cups milk

Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour out by 1/4 cupfuls onto hot greased griddle. Flip when bottoms are browned and bubbles form in the middle.

• Oatmeal Pancakes:

• 2 cups milk
          • 1 1/2 c. rolled oats
          • 1/2 c. all purpose flour
          • 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
          • 1/4 c. wheat germ
          • 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
          • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
          • 1/2 teaspoon salt
          • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
          • 2 eggs
          • 1/4 c. vegetable oil
          • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Add oats to the milk and set aside for 15 minutes. Mix flours, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon together. Add eggs, vegetable oil and vanilla along with oatmeal mixture and stir until mixed. Pour by the 1/4 cupfuls onto hot greased griddle and flip when bottoms are browned and bubbles form in the middle.

• Plain Pancakes

• 1 egg

1 c. flour

1 Tbsp. baking powder

1 Tbsp. sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

2 Tbsp. melted butter or vegetable oil

3/4 to 1 c. milk

Mix and cook same as recipes above.  Can add berries or chocolate chips if desired

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Plain Egg Noodle Dough:

• 2 1/2 c. flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 c. milk
  • 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine

Stir dry ingredients together. Mix in rest of ingredients and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes. Divide dough into halves or thirds and roll out on lightly floured surface to about 1/8" thick. Cut into desired widths/shapes. Lay on cookie sheets to dry for at least an hour. If not using right away, put into container or resealable plastic bag and refrigerate until ready to use.

Carrot Pasta Dough:

• 1/2 c. carrot puree (cook 3-4 medium carrots in boiling water until soft, put through food mill or blender)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 2 1/2 c. flour, need a bit more for dusting the rolling surface
  • 1 tsp. salt, more or less to taste, maybe even omit

Combine all ingredients and mix together. Knead until smooth (may need to add small amounts of flour if dough is sticky). Cover and let rest for one hour. Roll out and cut as desired, or put through a pasta maker.

Spinach Pasta Dough:

Cook spinach in boiling water for one minute. Remove with slotted spoon and cool in ice water. When cooled, remove from the water, squeeze in a towel to dry and place in the bowl of a food processor. Puree until a very fine paste forms. Mound 3 1/2 cups of the flour in the center of a large wooden cutting board. Make a well in the middle of the flour and add the egg and spinach and the olive oil. Using a fork, beat together the eggs and oil and begin to incorporate the flour, starting with the inner rim of the well. The dough will come together when half of the flour is incorporated. Start kneading the dough with both hands, using the palms of your hands. Once you have a cohesive mass, remove the dough from the board and scrape up and discard any leftover bits. Lightly re-flour the board and continue kneading for six more minutes. The dough should be elastic and a little sticky. Wrap the dough in plastic and allow to rest for 30 minutes at room temperature. Roll out and cut as desired or use a pasta maker.

Alternate Spinach Pasta Dough:

• 1 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, thawed,drained and squeezed as dry as humanly possible
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 1/2-3 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon salad oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Process spinach in a food processor or blender until fine. Squeeze dry again. Combine with eggs and oil. Stir in flour and salt. Knead until smooth. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes. Roll out and cut as desired, or put through a pasta maker.

Tomato Pasta Dough:

• 2 1/4 c. flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 Tbsp. warm water
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/3 c. tomato paste

Place the flour on a large floured surface or in a bowl. Make a well in the center. Break the eggs into the well. Add the salt, oil, water, and tomato paste. Beat the mixture in the well with a fork, then gently start to work the flour into the liquid. Continue until the dough becomes sticky and difficult to work with the fork. Use your hands to form the dough into a ball. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes (or use a stand mixer with a dough hook.) You may need to add more flour since this dough can be sticky. Cover with a bowl or towel and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Proceed with rolling and cutting the pasta or use a pasta maker.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Whole Wheat Pasta Dough:

Stir flours together in a bowl with the salt. Add water and eggs and mix. Knead until smooth. Let rest for 30 minutes. Roll out and cut as desired, or put through a pasta maker.

Amy127
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 3:01 PM
Thank you Rhonda! I got a few printed off before my 20 month old unplugged my internet modem. Have to try again when shes in bed tonight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jbyrd898
by Jessica on Jun. 26, 2012 at 7:26 AM

I had no idea it was that easy to make a pasta! Wow. I might try that. Thanks!

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Quoting jbyrd898:

I had no idea it was that easy to make a pasta! Wow. I might try that. Thanks!

I used to have a pasta maker...put the ingredients in, turn it on, and within minutes I'd have fresh spaghetti, fettucine, lasagne, noodles, even macaroni or rotini!  I bought the machine off eBay for $30.  Well worth the $$.

cjsmom1
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 8:21 AM
I buy everything premade
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 8:23 AM
I would love to have more home made things but I don't have the time but I also don't know how. My mother can't cook so I'm learning everything on my own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 9:26 AM
I really need to learn how to cook from scratch. I want to start with baked goods
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN