Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Direct Sales... Are you doing it? Thoughts on doing it?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am considering joining a direct sales company.. I've been with one before and even though I love thier products, they're pricey and my customer base can't afford them.. I can't even afford them without the consultant discount! 

So, I'm thinking about joining Scentsy - Has anyone hosted a party with a Scentsy consultant before? What are your thoughts on it..

Do you sell Scentsy? Can you give me your honest opinion on it?

Or are you with another direct sales company that you absolutely love and is affordable for your customers?

Greatly appreciate all feedback about DS!

by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:02 PM
Replies (21-30):
AzariahsMother
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:26 PM
Never thought or would. Sales like that is not my thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Oliviasmommy131
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Quoting jbyrd898:

Quoting Oliviasmommy131:

I really like doing Country Gourmet Home ( you can see my link if you are interested).

I have a full time job and CGH is NOT my main source of income. But I LOVE their products and since it is food, dinner mixes, baking mixes etc. We are going to use them. I just look at it as a way to get the items I like really cheap or FREe and make a little money on the side. You COULD make it into an income if you wanted, and many women do, but for me it is kind of my side income.

I've never heard of that.

Check out the signature below for info. You can sign up for as little as $5.95 which honestly would be worth it just to get the discounts on your own food. Message me for more info.

A great place to buy yummy, affordable mixes or become consultant for as little as $5.95.

ReesesPieces
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Honestly, I hate when friends start selling stuff like that because then they are going to annoy me to have party after party after party. I refuse to do parties - have them or go to them, and your social circle will get worn out fast. People aren't all interested in spending frivolous money during a recession like this. Even if the candles at Walmart arent as good but are half the price, people are going to buy the cheaper product most of the time.

I never suggest for anyone to go into direct sales if they love their friends and family. It puts awkwardness in relationships and guilts them into supporting you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vamomlds
by New Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I tried it when I was young.  I cannot sale.  I have no talents in direct sales.

adauphinee
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I've been selling Scentsy for over a year and I also sell mark. cosmetics (the sister company to Avon). I mainly use mark. for  the 30-35% upfront discount on makeup for myself and occasionally sell to others. My Scentsy business however, is to pay a few of my bills such as my car insurance and phone. I have a part time job along with Scentsy so I don't have to rely on it 100%. I don't bug or pressure anyone I know into buying from me or having a party with me.I started out with a launch party (just family and friends) and after that I just simply keep them in the know of ongoing sales, let them know what I have in stock if they bring up that they need something as a gift, new bars, etc. I've also done a few fundraisers with my Scentsy business that helped me get my name out there. There are a few different way you can work you Scentsy business and that's what I like. You can sell casually, do parties,  have tables at events/craft shows, or fundraisers.

If you have any questions feel free to ask away. :)

jewelryforfive
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I sell Paparazzi Accessories and I really like it.   They have hundreds of styles of jewelry and hair accessories for $5 each.  I love it because everyone can afford it.  You don't have to sit through a presentation or spend $50 for just one thing.  People can buy them for themselves or as an affordable gift.  I make a 45% profit which is really great. 

ReesesPieces is right that you have to be very sweet to your friends and make sure they are NOT feeling like they have to hold a party for you.   Typically people have a party because they can't afford the product and need to get the hostess benefits.  With Paparazzi, it's totally affordable and people have a party because they want to share the jewelry with their friends.  People never believe it's really just $5.  I like watching their faces when they hear the price.  :-)

You do have to work, but it's nice to work at your own pace.  You can even decide if you want to take your little ones to the parties with you or not.  If they're a bit older than can be good helpers. 

I know it's scary, but I hope you find exactly what is right for YOU!

chenard79
by New Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I am involved in a direct sales.  Its called Melaleuca. One big thing about direct sales is the support team you have and having a product that doesnt require new cost for your customers. 

BruaKoPhoe
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Hello Princessracer!

I know a couple of people who sell Scentsy.  I have never hosted a party or purchased any of their products but I believe that they are pretty affordable.  

I am an Independent Consultant with Traci Lynn Fashion Jewelry.  We are a ground floor business with a little less than 11,000 consultants but we are on the verge of hypergrowth!  Our products are extremely affordable (ranging from $16 - $65).  I love the business because I can wear the jewelry and get paid to do it! :)  I would love to share the opportunity with you if you are interested.  We just launched our Fall/Winter 2012 line of jewelry on Saturday, July 28th.  Our website is being updated to reflect the new catalog but you can visit the website and see our Spring/Summer 2012 catalog at your leisure:  

www.tracilynnjewelry.com/catalog

Also, check out this website, you will see that our jewelry has reached the "celebrity community" as well! :)  

http://www.tracilynnmagazine.com/

Thanks!
Carla Conward

Consultant ID #5773

Traci Lynn Fashion Jewelry

BruaKoPhoe
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Quoting ReesesPieces:

Honestly, I hate when friends start selling stuff like that because then they are going to annoy me to have party after party after party. I refuse to do parties - have them or go to them, and your social circle will get worn out fast. People aren't all interested in spending frivolous money during a recession like this. Even if the candles at Walmart arent as good but are half the price, people are going to buy the cheaper product most of the time.

I never suggest for anyone to go into direct sales if they love their friends and family. It puts awkwardness in relationships and guilts them into supporting you.

Hello!

The Direct Sales industry is definitely not for everyone.  If anyone goes into a direct sales business with the intention to ONLY promote his/her product or service to family and friends, that is the first step to a downfall.  No one should ever soley rely on his/her "warm market" to support and maintain a business...that's with any business, not just in direct sales.  Not all direct sales businesses call for you to be an excellent sales person either.  I am not AT ALL a salesperson but I do very well in my direct sales business (Traci Lynn Fashion Jewelry).  I believe it's all about establishing genuine relationships which will assist you in growing your client base/supporters and a clear goal to work towards...I am a real person with a real testimony of how direct sales CAN work for you.  It all depends on the amount of time that you are willing to put in and the amount of money that you want to make.  Send people to your website to make purchases, pass around your catalog, have home shows, do specials for holidays...the ideas are endless.  I get a check every month!  It is some real, legitimate money to be made in direct sales! 

Oh...and I am a SAHM of 3 children ages 5, 3, and 17 months ;)

amyjo2177
by New Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I have never done direct sales but have seriously been considering it.  Several around here sell Scentsy but I was considering Premier Jewelry and Simply Said. My only problem is the start up cost. I just don't have the extra right now.

I was recently introduced to a legit at home job that does affiliate marketing. It's commission based but you can get paid daily and it pays really well.  If you want to check that out you can look  at it at www.keymarktingnetwork.com/amyjo2177.  A friend of mine made $4000 her first month, but she worked it full time. Other friends of mine are making $300-400 a week.  I just started last week and i've only worked maybe 2 hours and already made $80.00

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement