Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Family Piggy Bank The Family Piggy Bank

Bullied Bus Monitor Plans to Do Something Totally Awesome With Her Money (VIDEO) What would you do if you suddenly found yourself with over $600,000?

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:20 PM
  • 8 Replies

Bullied Bus Monitor Plans to Do Something Totally Awesome With Her Money (VIDEO)

Posted by Lindsay Mannering on June 25, 2012

karen kleinI'd venture to guess that Karen Klein, the 68-year-old bus monitor who who was bullied to tears, never thought she'd have a problem doling out boatloads of cash. The donations from strangers keep pouring in as more and more people see the YouTube video and as of now, the total amount she'll be rewarded is over $640,000 (and there's still 26 days left!) and Southwest Airlines is flying her and nine friends down to Disney World for a once-in-a-lifetime vacation. Obviously, Karen's blown away by the show of support.

She went on the Today Show to talk about how her life's changed in the past few days, and when asked what she plans to do with the money, well, her answer may surprise you.

She responded that she'll invest some, help her family (she's got eight grand kids, after all) and she'll give some to charity.

Karen seemed almost dumbfounded by the money, asking, "What would anyone do with that much money?"

Well, Karen, not everyone would donate to charity, and not everyone would help out their loved ones. Some people would blow it all on ridiculous toys, some would blow it all in Vegas, some would blow it all on blow, and some would just hole up in their houses, feeling paralyzed into inaction by the pressure to do the right thing.

Maybe Karen feels generous and magnanimous because those who donated were obviously motivated by those emotions. Or maybe she'd share her wealth no matter how she got the money -- maybe that's just the kind of person she is.

Only a handful of boys bullied one woman, but tens of thousands have tried to right that wrong with hundreds of thousands of dollars. Karen has admitted she feels undeserving of all the love, but to me, there's no better person to receive such a sum. She's going to help others, just as others have helped her. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

What would you do if you suddenly found yourself with over $600,000?

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO

by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:46 PM

That's awesome. I honestly would cry if I got that much money lol.

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 5:03 PM

In this case, I'd donate every penny to an agency or charity that helped bullied kids.

Stevensmomma
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

In this case, I'd donate every penny to an agency or charity that helped bullied kids.

I agree !! But I would maybe pay off some bills too.

cjsmom1
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 8:42 PM
Buy a house and then donate to victims of bullying
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yvonne37
by Yvonne on Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:49 PM

pay off my house and everything we owe.  Invest. help my kids through college.  Take the whole family on a well deserved vacation. And.. help others lol.. yeah its the last one on my list ;)

jbyrd898
by Jessica on Jun. 26, 2012 at 6:27 AM

the house would be paid off, and all my loans! then after that I would put it in savings!

michiganmom116
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 7:19 AM

I was bullied for over 10 years in school.  I know the desperation these kids feel.  My bills are MINE through my choices, but their feelings are through no choice of theirs.  Why should one person get hundreds of thousands of dollars for this one incident while kids face tormenters every day and get nothing, not even a second thought from most people?  That's why I would choose to give every penny.

Quoting Stevensmomma:

Quoting michiganmom116:

I agree !! But I would maybe pay off some bills too.

momto3isme
by Dawn on Jun. 26, 2012 at 9:02 AM
Quoting cjsmom1:

Buy a house and then donate to victims of bullying

I would do the same.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)