Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Forget the Paper Resume! What's Your Online Presence?

Posted by   + Show Post

The resume. That piece of paper, listing all of your current and past jobs, your skills, your education, all neatly typed out for employers to scan and then hire you. It used to be you had a good resume, you would get a job.

Not anymore. 

Anyone who has been looking for a job in the past few years now realize having a good resume and sending it out isn't the main way - or even a good way - to get a job. What are some of the beyond the resume ideas to make it out there and catch an employer's eye? All of them have to do with establishing a great online presence. Google yourself. What do you find? A bunch of random Facebook pics of vacations gone by isn't the best thing to have people only see. Here are good ways to bump up that virtual side of you.

-- LinkedIn. This is becoming a huge network tool, as well as a good way to get your accomplishments and success out there for possible employers to see. It is free, you just need to set up an account and supply all of your info. Start connecting with associates and friends and see what happens.

-- Twitter. Even though you may think you have nothing to say in 140 characters, you do. Link to an interesting story that is related to your field - or the field you want to be in. Follow industry colleagues, re-Tweet their wisdom, get involved. This is a great idea no matter what you are into, whether it's writing, blogging, soapmaking or advertising and PR.

-- About.me. Business cards are great if you are next to the person, but what about if you have never met? Direct them to what you want them to see by putting a profile on About.me. You put up an image, a brief snippet about yourself, and then direct them to your email or your LinkedIn account or a website. Perfect way to control your online profile.

-- Blog. Especially if you are venturing into a new career, start a blog about it. Musings, pictures, comments on whatever it may be, even about marketing or computer design. Let's say you want to start your own craft business while still working in an office. This is a good way to break in and get traffic to your creations. It is so easy to set up, places like Tumblr, are free. Just start writing or posting pictures. It shows you are serious and is another place those that hire may stumble upon as they Google you.

Do you have a LinkedIn account? What about Twitter? Share what you find when you Google yourself!

ŠiStockphoto.com/BrianAJackson

by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
ANSnyder
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 10:17 AM
When I just googled myself nothing that was specifically me came up. Apparently there are 25 people on LinkedIn with my name and facebook has multiple people as well.
Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I have none pretty much!  Guess I need to  work on it!

elasmimi
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Thank goodness I'm retired, and don't have to worry about resumes any more. When I first graduated from nursing school, we did not have to have them, and I never got any practice.

daerca574
by Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I don't have linkedin.  I have twitter but don't use it very often!

I googled myself and found this article!  haha. . . we had a blast that year!

http://www.salina.com/news/story/Black-Friday-11-27-10

MamaMandee
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 11:26 AM

I have a twitter account and when you google me only my FB shows up. 

Rushn311
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I've googled myself and some Cafemom stuff comes up but that's about it.

jessicasmom1
by Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I dont have any been a sahm for 12 years

goddess99
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I don't have a Linkedin acct. I do have twitter but I don't use it. When I google my name I get Amazon things and fb.

lalasmama2007
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 1:09 PM
I don't use either and when I google myself nothing exciting comes up.
.Angelica.
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 1:11 PM

i'm not job searching but i will share these with a friend who is!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement