Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Hi. New here and have ???

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 3:08 PM
  • 16 Replies

Hi Mamas!  I am new in this group, and am hoping to get some advice... It seems like we are stretched from week to week, and I am tired of living this way.  I am doing everything I know to pinch pennies.  Thought maybe you ladies would have some ideas.  We do not have alot of debt, as far as credit cards, etc., just a couple hospital bills we are paying on, and my student loan. Plus 3 home loans, 2 of which are covered by renter payments, that pay the payment, but really don't leave any extra until we get them paid off. We eat out MAYBE once a month, don't have cable or pay for internet.  I coupon, and only buy stuff that is on sale.  I desperately want to put us in a more stable spot financially, but it is so discouraging sometimes!  Ideas?

by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amy127
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 3:25 PM
Do you both work? If not could you pick up a part time job or do in home day care? It sounds like you've cut out extra spending pretty good so increasing your income seems like the best solution.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
e.sugarbaby
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I understand completely.  Sounds like you are already do a lot. Do you garden? That has helped us some this year with the high prices of groceries lately.  I had no idea what to do - so we planted some and hoped for the best - and so far it has been great.  It has saved us quite a bit.

A short fix that I have been doing lately is I have also been taking things to consignment shops. Of course you dont make a whole lot of money but my goal is 2 fold... helping me clean out the closets/dresser drawers and make a few bucks.  I feel less stressed with less things. :)  Now if I could just get everyone else on board in our house .. that would be great! :)

I also started working from home part time. If you would like more information about that please feel free to message me.  We have 2 young children so my time to work is very limited but it has been nice to be able to contribute to the family finaces with flexibility.

I will try and think of some more ideas - I am sure you will hear from many others on here. This is the best group!

Work at home on your own time - no selling and no quotas! Please contact me for more information.
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jun. 29, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I was going to ask if you both are working as well?

ReesesPieces
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Can you sell one of the 3 homes? It's not an investment if it's a burden. I know Renters cover the payment but what about repairs?

Have you tried selling stuff? Craigslist, yard sales, eBay - all good places to sell non-essential stuff. Any money you make can be used to pay off the debt you have.

Have you ever heard of Dave Ramsey? He changed our lives!

I would never tell a SAHM to get a job outside of the home unless it was necessary to the survival of the family, so my suggestions do not involve that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FindersKeepers
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you really need to own 3 homes?   I agree that if you are not making money on them, they are not an investment.  

If you are struggling now while you have renters, then you will be totally screwed if one of your renters falls through or turns shady on you.   If you have an investment property you should be able to cover the mortgage for 6 months in case something happens with the renters. If you don't have that you are in jeopardy.

cjsmom1
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I would consider getting rid of one of the homes so it's no so stressful. What about working from home or watching other people's kids for a little extra money?

shay0810
by Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I do garden. Love working outside! :-)  We constantly have things on craigslist, my hubby buys and flips vehicles occasionally, also in his work, he is sometimes given stuff. He came home yesterday with a nice fridge and stove, which we sold last night. That helps.  DH does not want me to work, as his hours are unpredictable, and there would be no one to keep the kids.  I have advertised to do babysitting,  but no luck yet.  A friend and I are trying to get a business going making and selling hairbows. :-) If that takes off, it will be perfect, because I can do it from home while I have the kids.

As far as the rental homes, one is sold on land contract, and the tenant is responsible for all repairs. Also within the next year, they are buying it outright, so that will be one less thing on our plates. The other rental is out of state. It was our first home when we got married 10 years ago.  The tenant is a guy that DH has known for his whole life, and he has been renting from us for 8 years. He has always been really good about fixing things himself. So, so far, those have turned out ok.

Tonya105
by New Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:52 PM

I understand where you are coming from.This is how I have started  helping  out. A friend of mine shared with me the other day . She said how many people do you know drives a car? I said, everyone I know basicly why??? Then she said How many kids have gotten hurt at school or at home playing and needed to goto ER? Probaply a few. Ok LOng story short she introduced me to Motor Club of America. It is 150k in benefits for 19.95 per month If you are a member you can be a HOME ASSOCIATE for MCA. We looked at the plan and it is GREAT additional coverage for any Family. They will pay you 80.00 for every acount yot open.In the past three days I have opened two new accounts. That is 160.00 added to our bank account. It is so simple to do and the added peace of mind in the coverage is FANTASTIC. They pay weekly either direct deposit or UPS brings you your check. Contact me for more info if you would be interested. MCA has been a trusted company since 1926. Good luck to you!!! KEEP couponing I love it!!!

momto3isme
by Dawn on Jul. 1, 2012 at 7:30 AM
Welcome to the group! The others have given good advice. You could make your own cleaning products, cook from scratch, shop garage sales and thrift stores. Have your own garage sale.
AzariahsMother
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 12:40 PM

wave Welcome to the group

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN